Wood vs silicone molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that I can use just about anything as a mold for soap - the beginner's recipe I am looking at uses a mailing box. I would like to get myself a more permanent mold or two as I get started, and am just wondering why someone would want to spend for a wooden mold and silicone liner, versus just buying silicone molds. Are there benefits to one or the other?
Thanks for any recommendations and sharing of your experience!

Until you are sure you are going to want to continue making soap, you might not want to invest in a wood mold. But if you know you are hooked and are willing to make a bigger investment in a mold, these are my thoughts.

When I started, I tried lining boxes with freezer paper. I hated the process and decided to buy this silicone loaf mold. It works well enough. I eventually wanted a wood mold with a silicone liner because I still wanted silicone, but also wanted the insulation benefits of wood. I bought a wood mold with liner from Nurture soap and have never regretted it.

Silicone alone can bow at the sides or top, but that can be avoided by placing books or something along the sides for stability. Other than that, it comes down to whether the cost is worth it to you. It is to me.

If you are referring to log molds, then some silicone molds are too flimsy to use without support. However, I have a sturdy 2lb silicone mold from Wholesale Supplies Plus,(Crafter), that I use on a regular basis. Using wood molds with a silicone liner will aid in gelling the soap, as they are heavier and hold in the heat better than just silicone molds.

Until you are sure you are going to want to continue making soap, you might not want to invest in a wood mold. But if you know you are hooked and are willing to make a bigger investment in a mold, these are my thoughts.

When I started, I tried lining boxes with freezer paper. I hated the process and decided to buy this silicone loaf mold. It works well enough. I eventually wanted a wood mold with a silicone liner because I still wanted silicone, but also wanted the insulation benefits of wood. I bought a wood mold with liner from Nurture soap and have never regretted it.

Silicone alone can bow at the sides or top, but that can be avoided by placing books or something along the sides for stability. Other than that, it comes down to whether the cost is worth it to you. It is to me.
Thanks! Just what I needed to hear.

I know that I can use just about anything as a mold for soap - the beginner's recipe I am looking at uses a mailing box. I would like to get myself a more permanent mold or two as I get started, and am just wondering why someone would want to spend for a wooden mold and silicone liner, versus just buying silicone molds. Are there benefits to one or the other?
Thanks for any recommendations and sharing of your experience!
There are pros and cons to both.

The Pro with a Silicone Soap Mold is that it is just a single unit and I could toss them on the top rack of my dishwasher. The Con with 10" and 12" Silicone Loaf Molds is that they eventually stretch out at the top and you end up with "V"-shaped soap. But I just had my husband make me a couple of wood frames that I could set them in and I'm still using them.

The Pro with Wooden Molds is that they will last forever so long as you take care of them. The Con is that they need to be lined. The Pro is that you can buy them with liners that will last you for years, the Con is that the liners can get floppy over time. And while you can get good at using freezer paper, using it is typically single use.

Honestly, it's a matter of personal preferences. I have straight Silicone Loaf Molds and I have Wooden Molds w/Liners.

I love the combo of wood w/ silicone liner, and some simple ones are available for cheap on Amazon. Sometimes you can get a little set that includes the wood box, silicone liner, and a cutter for $20-30, but you could always skip the cutter & just use a good kitchen knife. The cute little individual molds shaped like flowers & whatever are fun too, but you want to put them on a cutting board or sheet tray before pouring so you can move them before they're set if it becomes necessary. I was fine with spending a little extra on molds & a stick blender right away b/c I got my other equipment from Dollar Tree. 😁

I only make pretty basic soap, and for years, used small plastic molds, some decorative, from Betterbee. Recently my partner got stuff out to make a new batch, an she asked if I could make a wooden mold, so I spent an hour in the shop making a simple one with removeable ends and sides based on the approximate size of the recipe we usually do. It also has a removable divider in the middle, which she asked for. Rather than do anything fancy before knowing how it would work, I tied a strip of bicycle inner tube around it to hold everything together. It all worked great.

Starting with the mailing box has another advantage. It gives you time to decide the size you like in a bar and whether you like to use a slab type mold or a a loaf mold; as well as whether you want the loaf mold to make a tall/skinny bar or a shorter wider bar. If you decide later you want to sell will you be happy with the mold you purchased?

If you purchase at this time then try to keep it simple/cost efficient. If you are like most soap makers there will always be something else you want to purchase in the future.

As a newbie just buy one of the cheap ones on amazon. They are the purple silicone molds with the wooden outside. I upgraded to Nurture Soaps 5 lb mold. I now have two of the silicone molds to go with the one wood mold (they fit inside). I LOVE it. As I grow, I fully intend on buying more of those. I've never had such an easy time with a mold.

Back