Wood soap mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleyabubbles

Reaction score
Which type of wood should I utilize to make a wood soap mold? I'm worry about the mold retaining the necessary heat to properly cook or cure the soap after I've poured it into the mold.

You do want to make sure it's not old wood that's been preserved with arsenic. I know a few years ago the gov't started to enforce this but who knows about old lumber that's been sitting around in someone's garage or shed. Of course, I may be worrying about this unneccesarily.

Pine will be fine.
It is better keep away from artificial board, such as particle board, MDF . Please do check national standard of building material of formaldehyde for cancer.

Some people use walnut or oak. If you like and afford it.

Like everyone else said, pine works great.

I don't reccomend plywood. In my experience, compared to the same thickness of pine board, it won't hold heat nearly as well.

I made my 40 bar mold from plywood 5 years ago. I went to Home Depot and had them cut the wood to my measurements. I've been happy over the years with my mold.

Wooden Tray for Bars
• 1-inch plywood
• measurements = 25½” x 13½” x 4”

Use some left-over scrap wood to make handles for the wood try. Handles come in very handy for moving the mold.

Back