Wondering about taking an E class?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy von Elling

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am about to purchase a lotion making E class since I am a little confused as to what I learned in the class I did and the notes are really not easy to understand. Am I allowed to ask people on here about what they thought of a certain class. I'm guessing that is against the rules and I don't want to cause any trouble.
There is one positive review and one negative review and not much else to see. Anyone have any ideas about this? I am reading bits and pieces here and there but I am looking for an actual class. Would appreciate knowing how other's did it. My first batch I have already made some mistakes and it seems cheaper to learn and not waste ingredients. Thanks in advance :)

When making lotions you are going to find it is quite a learning curve and ingredients are going to be wasted, it is what it is. I had a shelf full of tested lotions for over a year, some were successful some were failures. Some qualified to be sent to the lab for testing most did not before I could justify selling. Lotions have a large learning curve in my opinion. Even after many years of making lotions, I can manage to blow a batch and I am talking 2 gallons min so I lose a lot of ingredients.

I would join Swift Crafty Monkey's blog and start reading, she also sells her E-books, but truthfully all information in her e-books is available in the blog. It is a lot less expensive than paying for a class. There is also another site Making Skincare which has a wealth of free very reliable information. I know a lot of people here like Humblebee and Me, but I do not. Out of curiosity I have tried several of her recipes and have had more failures than successes.

You may find the information at Making Skincare easier to follow. Good Luck and do not get discouraged, lotion is fun to make. Do not let me discourage you, I have skin issues and I am paranoid when it comes to making lotion. I want no problems with bacteria in my lotions. I have grown many colorful molds and yuckies when testing lotions. :D

Point of Interest – The home of SwiftCraftyMonkey! Join Susan as she obsesses about cosmetic chemistry and other things (some possibly related to monkeys). Often strange, occasionally useful, and always worth a stop as a point of interest on your journey through the Intertron.

Learn to Make Natural Lotion, Cream, Moisturiser & Body Butter

When making lotions you are going to find it is quite a learning curve and ingredients are going to be wasted, it is what it is. I had a shelf full of tested lotions for over a year, some were successful some were failures. Some qualified to be sent to the lab for testing most did not before I could justify selling. Lotions have a large learning curve in my opinion. Even after many years of making lotions, I can manage to blow a batch and I am talking 2 gallons min so I lose a lot of ingredients.

I would join Swift Crafty Monkey's blog and start reading, she also sells her E-books, but truthfully all information in her e-books is available in the blog. It is a lot less expensive than paying for a class. There is also another site Making Skincare which has a wealth of free very reliable information. I know a lot of people here like Humblebee and Me, but I do not. Out of curiosity I have tried several of her recipes and have had more failures than successes.

You may find the information at Making Skincare easier to follow. Good Luck and do not get discouraged, lotion is fun to make. Do not let me discourage you, I have skin issues and I am paranoid when it comes to making lotion. I want no problems with bacteria in my lotions. I have grown many colorful molds and yuckies when testing lotions. :D

Point of Interest – The home of SwiftCraftyMonkey! Join Susan as she obsesses about cosmetic chemistry and other things (some possibly related to monkeys). Often strange, occasionally useful, and always worth a stop as a point of interest on your journey through the Intertron.

Learn to Make Natural Lotion, Cream, Moisturiser & Body Butter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with me about your lotion making experience. I don't mind wasting ingredients if I know I am on the right track. But so far from what I'm hearing others say, the method I learned in the class I took is a little off so I need to start again and learn. It took me 2 years to get soap making down to what I am very comfortable with and I didn't have many wasted batches but I guess I got lucky. I understand it well and maybe it was a learning curve but was more forgiving (it seems).
Do you think there is enough information with their $5 subscription to really learn or is the $10 one needed (on Swifty craft monkey)? I will start with the $1 maybe and see what I can learn that way. I have watched a few different you tube channels but found them a little confusing so will stick with these. I know today someone else said Marie on You tube is good and I'm thankful for that input too. Thanks, again :)

Thanks for posting the links and taking the time to comment on my post. I really appreciate it.

I will try to just have fun and not to stress - I know it will take time to learn and I need to put in the time and it will pay off.

Latest posts

Back