Wonderful pine tar soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, actually, I leaf through most of these old books on my Kindle. Finding print originals of these texts is difficult, although I do have one from the 1920s on the colloid chemistry of soap that I treasure, despite how dense it is to understand.

I actually will read these books from cover to cover, although I confess to skimming over the really boring parts. But I keep piecing together snippets of information that give me more insight into why and how soap was made in certain ways and how that relates to modern-day soap making. It's fascinating.

Except for not having many of those "yellowed tomes", I am otherwise guilty as charged, Gent. I often have a glass of something close to hand as I read. In cold weather, there is almost always a nice fire in the living room, since we heat with wood. There are usually one or two warm dogs sleeping nearby who will obligingly warm cold toes, if the fire is not enough. My home is unusual in that it is a 1915 timber-framed barn converted into a house, so the ambiance is appropriate to my reading matter.

:)

99% alcohol spritz

DeAnna,
Do or have you ever used the 99% alcohol to spritz on the soap after pouring to stop soda ash? I used the saran wrap but it crushed the design in the final swirl, so am left to wonder if this alcohol is a way to go...

I don't do anything to prevent ash, Soapshark. My preference is to "embrace the ash" as others have put it. :)

I know alcohol is used by some soapers, but I've never tried it. Perhaps others can chime in with their experiences.

I am with DeAnna on this, at least for my plain bars I tend to like the rustic appeal of soda ash on them.

Hi everyone! I have small pimples on the side of my cheeks..i have this problem since last 8 years..i have taken all kind of treatments,nothing helped permanently..i used carbon soap and it reduced pimples to some extent..then i saw this thread..i was amazed to the see the pics and the effects of this soap..i somehow found pine tar,but am unable to find jewelweed anywhere here in India.. i want to make this soap..is there any plant with similar qualities like jewelweed? What can i do to substitute jewelweed or make a good acne soap?

pet shampoo

Hi...has anyone out there had success at making a good pet shampoo? I have used a basic bar of soap on my Bichon, she hasn't had issues with this so far, but am wondering if the oils are over kill for a dog? The bar I made had 3 E.O. in it to ward off biting insects....I did consider using Neem oil in place of the other E.O. Your thoughts...

DeAnna,
Do or have you ever used the 99% alcohol to spritz on the soap after pouring to stop soda ash? I used the saran wrap but it crushed the design in the final swirl, so am left to wonder if this alcohol is a way to go...

This link might be of interest to you. It has a tutorial on getting rid of soda ash. http://lather-be-soaping.blogspot.com/2012/04/dreaded-soda-ash.html

This has been a great thread, I really want to play around with some pine tar now. Has anyone tried out "solventfreepaint.com"?

WOW!! That is amazing!! Nothing I love more then to see the medical properties of plants being used. Jewel weed is one of my favorite plants, Loosestrife works well with it too

Hey! Why is no one replying to my question?:( Please tell me if anyone knows what can we add in place of jewelweed..:confused:

Hey! Why is no one replying to my question?:( Please tell me if anyone knows what can we add in place of jewelweed..:confused:

It depends on what you are trying to do. Use a search engine and look for suitable replacements. Pine tar soap alone might do what you are looking for, you may not even need jewelweed.

I did a quick search for plants in India for acne and came up with:

Fenugreek or methi
neem leaves
tumeric powder
or sandlewood powder

I'm not sure if you have access to any of these but I'd try an oil infusion of them.

Latest posts

Back