Wonderful pine tar soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sinful, do you have an Etsy store? I would love to buy some of this miracle soap from you!!!:D As a mother of teens this would be great to help their skin!!

As of right now I'm not selling on etsy. I'm kept very busy locally and fear growing too large too quickly :)

As of right now I'm not selling on etsy. I'm kept very busy locally and fear growing too large too quickly :)

I'd love to buy a bar as well. My salt bar worked for a month and then it failed me. :thumbdown:

I could order jewelweed extract online...but by the time I do that, make a batch, wait 6 weeks, it would be more cost effective to just buy some!

Nice thread. Thought I'd share my two versions of pine tar soap. The links go to evernote files. I can't keep this stuff in stock. Thank you for sharing your pictures. We didn't think to take before pictures when we started with with pine tar. I do not add jewelweed, but I do have a jewelweed soap for contact dermatitis.

Pine tar
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s180...038b56e12058/7f4723a4634d3092dea4a625afa63cdb

extra condition PT
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s180...de59b60f86af/2ea7dd4af1f87056442c6367b08923a0

Regards,
Carol at Tygerheart

yes thank you just one question though what does for mean for the pine tar

"...what does for mean for the pine tar ..."

Uh, I'm not following you -- what are you referring to, JK?

I was reading carol's pine tar recipe and in the pine tar colum it says pine tar only no fa. Just wondering what that means a lot of abbreviations on the forum

Oh, okay, now I get your question.

No fa = no fatty acids.

This is basically telling you that pine tar does not saponify into soap. Pine tar does consume some lye, however, even if it doesn't turn into soap, so you need to include it as a "fat" in your recipe so the recipe calculator can figure the right amount of lye.

Does that kind of soap, to treat acne skin, MUST be drying? My sister has acne, but also sensitive skin, so I would like to make her something mild and caring low on CO/Babbasu. Or just tar is drying and there is no way around it?

Ok got it thanks
and that is probably why it is still soft after 6 weeks I think 20% pine tar
my other was 10% I think and its pretty hard at 6 weeks

Last edited:
"...Or just tar is drying and there is no way around it? ..."

It has not been my experience that pine tar is drying to the skin, in and of itself. In my opinion, it is the soap recipe that has a greater effect on whether the skin is stripped of oils or not. My husband showers daily with 10% PT soap and I occasionally bathe with it. Neither of us experience unusual dryness from the soap -- no worse than the regular bath soaps that I make. The base recipe for my PT soap is low cleansing and high conditioning.

I also understand the "common wisdom" that an acne soap must be harsh and drying to be effective ... is wrong.

"...it is still soft after 6 weeks I think 20% pine tar ..."

Yes, 20% PT will definitely make the soap softer than 10% PT. Design a base recipe that is higher in stearic and palmitic acids to ensure a relatively hard, long lasting bar that will play nice with pine tar. I routinely unmold and cut my 10% PT soap within 24 hours -- it is quite firm at that time and only gets better with time.

Totally agree with Deanna I haven't found it to be drying either. Think its more the recipe you use.

"...Or just tar is drying and there is no way around it? ..."

It has not been my experience that pine tar is drying to the skin, in and of itself. In my opinion, it is the soap recipe that has a greater effect on whether the skin is stripped of oils or not. My husband showers daily with 10% PT soap and I occasionally bathe with it. Neither of us experience unusual dryness from the soap -- no worse than the regular bath soaps that I make. The base recipe for my PT soap is low cleansing and high conditioning.

I also understand the "common wisdom" that an acne soap must be harsh and drying to be effective ... is wrong.

Thank you DeeAnna, that is exactly why I've asked, I know that the last thing that acne skin need is to being dried and irritated. That is why I wanted to know if the PT soap is drying by definition. My recipes are very mild, low cleansing and quite high in conditioning - all around 59-61.

I also thought that, as some people reporting theirs skin to peel off on the beginning of treatment with the PT, but that mostly apply to rosacea treatment with PT soap. Did anyone noticed that?

I'm so excited to make such soap!!!! :) I think I will go for lavender scent, or lavender and mint, or no scent at all - I need to check how the PT smells of its own :)

"...I also thought that, as some people reporting theirs skin to peel off on the beginning of treatment with the PT, but that mostly apply to rosacea treatment with PT soap. Did anyone noticed that?..."

I have never heard about that, nor have I personally experienced this. A soap with a high cleansing value might be the culprit more than the PT. But I don't know everything there is to know about PT, so maybe it has that effect for some people.

"...I think I will go for lavender scent, or lavender and mint, or no scent at all - I need to check how the PT smells of its own..."

If you've never smelled pine tar, then be aware it has the strong odor of burnt rubber or very smoky campfire, depending on the brand and your nose. Added scent needs to play well with that kind of distinct, strong aroma.

That said, if you're making this soap specifically for troubled skin, it may be best to stick with just the PT. Consider the soap to be a medicinal product and choose your ingredients accordingly. Any additives should provide therapeutic benefits that aid the PT to do its job, not just added for the sake of adding them.

It may just be me, but I don't think I'd care for mint in a soap intended for washing the irritated, delicate skin of my face.

My pine tar soap is also no more drying than my regular soap. I use the same base recipe.

I like to add lavender EO to my pine tar soap. It doesn't cover the scent, but it works well with it and softens it just a little. And lavender EO is also good for skin problems. I have also used lavender, tea tree EO and patchouli together.

"...I also thought that, as some people reporting theirs skin to peel off on the beginning of treatment with the PT, but that mostly apply to rosacea treatment with PT soap. Did anyone noticed that?..."

I have never heard about that, nor have I personally experienced this. A soap with a high cleansing value might be the culprit more than the PT. But I don't know everything there is to know about PT, so maybe it has that effect for some people.

"...I think I will go for lavender scent, or lavender and mint, or no scent at all - I need to check how the PT smells of its own..."

If you've never smelled pine tar, then be aware it has the strong odor of burnt rubber or very smoky campfire, depending on the brand and your nose. Added scent needs to play well with that kind of distinct, strong aroma.

That said, if you're making this soap specifically for troubled skin, it may be best to stick with just the PT. Consider the soap to be a medicinal product and choose your ingredients accordingly. Any additives should provide therapeutic benefits that aid the PT to do its job, not just added for the sake of adding them.

It may just be me, but I don't think I'd care for mint in a soap intended for washing the irritated, delicate skin of my face.

I've read that lavender, pepper mint, tea tree EO are antibacterial, so that why I would go for them if at all for any scent. In all my soaps, ingredients are well thought out. About the smell, is what I've heard about it - strong burn like odor, well I will see myself soon.

Oh, I would not care at all if something helping with my conditions is smelling good or not, but I cannot speak for all, so I will think about the EO when I will get my PT :)

My pine tar soap is also no more drying than my regular soap. I use the same base recipe.

I like to add lavender EO to my pine tar soap. It doesn't cover the scent, but it works well with it and softens it just a little. And lavender EO is also good for skin problems. I have also used lavender, tea tree EO and patchouli together.

That is what I heard about those EO, I would go for lavender too, as patchouli and tee tree are giving me a real big headache :(

Last edited:
I have been researching to make a pine tar soap. I heard that some people are concerned about the Creosote in pine tar. Is there a certain brand I should look for. I found one in a store tonight but it had no indictions if it had any Creosote in it. Can anyone let me know if I should be worried about this or can I buy any brand of Pine Tar and I'll be ok.

thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back