Wonderful pine tar soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it you want pine tar without creosote. However others have stated that creosote is banned in most places now so it shouldn't be a problem to find pine tar without it.

Hi! I tried to find pine tar,but could not get it..my father is in forest department.. he got the gum extracted by pine tree..its thick white in color,and smells like turpentine oil..can it be used in place of pine tar?

"...can it be used in place of pine tar? ..."

Noooo. Pine tar is pine tar. It is not gum, turpentine, resin, rosin, colophony, or whatever. All of these products are created from the sap of pine or other coniferous or deciduous trees ... but pine tar is pine tar. It is the thick, tar-like liquid collected from the destructive pyrolysis of pine wood. (Pyrolysis is the process of heating a material in the absence of oxygen.)

I picked up a can of from Tractor Supply and have a few questions about using it.

Should the can be heated in a hot water bath to make the oil less viscous for easier pouring and handling?

How do you blend it with other oils and when adding lye? I thought I saw someone say that it's not stick-blender compatible.

Can Pine Tar soap be cooked in hot process?

And what does the annotation in Soap Calc mean? It says "lye calc only, no FA"

Thanks!

Should the can be heated in a hot water bath to make the oil less viscous for easier pouring and handling?

I prefer to scoop it out while its still thick. I use a plastic spoon and disposable cup to measure it. Then I add it to enough warm OO to thin it out and make it pourable. Add at thin trace and mix in by hand, you can try a SB but expect it to thicken in about 5 seconds.

You can HP it, mix into the oil and blend well before adding the lye.

* Should the can be heated in a hot water bath to make the oil less viscous for easier pouring and handling?

Sure, if you want. You don't have to.

* How do you blend it with other oils and when adding lye? I thought I saw someone say that it's not stick-blender compatible.

You can stick blend the pine tar into the oils if you want, but after lye meets pine tar, I very strongly recommend hand stirring only. Pine tar causes the soap batter to come to trace very quickly, so don't give it even more encouragement by using a stick blender.

* Can Pine Tar soap be cooked in hot process?

Yes.

* And what does the annotation in Soap Calc mean? It says "lye calc only, no FA"

Pine tar consumes some lye so it needs to be included as an ingredient in the soap recipe so you use the right amount of lye. Pine tar does not have any fatty acids (FA), however, so it doesn't actually make soap.

After reading through this very informative thread, other threads and other online sources, I've decided to give it a go. I developed my recipe based on inspiration from David Fisher (about.com) and the oils I have on hand. Sinful 7, the pics of your beautiful niece are the biggest inspiration as I also have family members that suffer from a bad complexion. Here's my recipe:

28% Lard
28% OO
17% CO
12% Sunflower
15% Pine Tar
5% SF

I thought I would add Tea Tree EO for the benefits it will bring to the soap. The smell of the tar itself doesn't really bother me so if you think it will not be affected by the tea tree, I won't worry about it. I'm on the fence about the % of PT. Should I leave it at 15% or decrease to 10%? I was able to find PT today at our local Tractor Supply store so I've attached a pic. The label says "Light Pine Tar 100%". Does the brand of PT look safe and does the recipe look good as a bar for problematic skin?

Thanks in advance!

Pine Tar.jpg

Anyone know where I can get Pine Tar locally In Australia and if so what brand would it be?. TIA :D

I don't know specifically where you'd find it in your area but I found this in the equine section of a feed type store. Maybe look where people buy products for their horses and hopefully you'll find it. This was in the section that has all the products for horses hooves. Good luck, dillsandwitch! :D

Yes that is the stuff. Also tea tree blends very well with the scent of pine tar IMHO.

Thanks Dorymae! I made it a few hours ago. I actually like the smell of pine tar, weird! My sister and husband like it too so maybe we have goofy noses in my family, lol. I also added the tea tree. It's in gel phase now so I'll see how comes out. :grin:

Quick question.... Since you can't make medical claims in the U.S. when selling soap, how could you legally educate the consumer that it's for acne prone skin?

Anyone know where I can get Pine Tar locally In Australia and if so what brand would it be?. TIA :D

I'm in Australia too. I did some research yesterday and ended up writing to Chemark, who say they're the sole Australian agent for genuine Swedish Stockholm Tar. They're wholesalers so they don't sell in small amounts but this is the reply I got from them;

Hi Claudia,

Our minimum quantity is 200kg but you can buy smaller quantities at most Horseland stores in either the Equinade or Pharmachem brands. Make sure you buy the genuine Stockholm Tar products as some other products are blended with linseed oil or neatsfoot oil etc.

Let me know if you need any further help,

Kind regards

David Parker

Edit: I just ordered some from here. They don't charge postage within Australia

Last edited:
"...Since you can't make medical claims in the U.S. when selling soap, how could you legally educate the consumer that it's for acne prone skin? ..."

You can't. Pure 'n simple. It's soap that contains pine tar as an ingredient. That's all you can legally claim.

Back