Wire vs knife for cutting?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I just tried cutting with an egg slicer (cuts in thin slices) and it seems to work pretty sell. It is smooth but it doesn't seem like the cuts are totally straight. Has anyone else noticed this with wire cutters? I have a very thin & very sharp knife (almost a fillet knife) that works VERY well. It does seem the thinner the better which is why I thought wire would work well.

I was planning on making a custom cutting machine and planned on wires, but now I'm wondering about that. I'm curious about how thick the wire should be but I guess a lot depends on the soap (size, thickness, hardness, etc).

I think if the wire cutter is made really with the task at hand in mind, it will be much better. A good flood one with no play in the wires should cut lovely and true.

A lot of people use wire cutters, either home made or bought.

Love my wire cutter. It was made to cut soap and cuts a dozen bars at a time. I know some people have used wire cheese cutters with much success, so that is an inexpensive option that would be better than an egg slicer as the wire should be tighter and stronger.

I believe it is the anchoring and tightened wire that gives the best cut. If however the wire can be moved or is not completely tight you will get a sub par result. A knife can work as well provided it is anchored between a guide which is why people use a soap cutter or a miter box to help guide cuts.

All other things being equal I would go with a wire.

I love my multibar wire cutter. My husband made mine. I used a thin knife with a miter box type made for soap but couldn't get a straight cut for anything. You just need to make sure you have enough tension on the wires .

You are equating an egg cutter meant to cut a soft item with a soap cutter designed specifically to cut soap. No comparison. It's the equivalent of comparing a Kia with a Jaugar.

My sister has also started soaping... I just bought a Bud cutter for her as a birthday present.

You are equating an egg cutter meant to cut a soft item with a soap cutter designed specifically to cut soap. No comparison. It's the equivalent of comparing a Kia with a Jaugar.

Hey whats wrong with Kia? Hahahahaha

Seriously though I have had a Kia for the last 7 years. Was used when I bought it and so far it has been the best car I have ever owned.

Sorry to hijack the thread so I best give my opion on the cutters huh?? Wire all the way. I have a cheese cutter that I got cheap at Vinnies and it works great. I do wanna stick a bit of wood at the bottom of it so the soap doesnt slide down while cutting but other than that its awesome

Definitely wire for me. I love my Bud cutter but have found that you need to 'tune' it before every cut. Each wire should have a high-pitched sound when plucked.

I tried for years with a knife and miter boxes, etc, pooh-poohing the cost of a good wire cutter. Then I totally lucked out and won mine as a door prize at a soap making event. (yes, envy me!) Now, if that thing vanished, I'd be online ordering one the next day. IMO, a good cutter is like a good mold - you save SO MUCH in frustration and aggravation, not to mentioned messed-up soap, that it's totally worth it.

Definitely wire for me. I love my Bud cutter but have found that you need to 'tune' it before every cut. Each wire should have a high-pitched sound when plucked.

love mine as well. the above is true for the multi, but for the single, you don't have to tune it that often.

One on my complaints regarding knives or blades for cutting is that the huge amount of surface area creates lots of drag on the face of the soap. So between cleaning up the bars and being able to cut only one at a time I wasted a lot of time before getting my multi wire.

Back