Wire vs Blade Cutting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
Seems that I am having trouble cutting my soap. When using a knife the edges sometimes want to break off because the knife pushes the block apart. I'm cutting fresh soap. Does a wire work a lot better?

Was looking at Paul's cutters and wondering if the Econo cutter leaves a clean cut, or the wire one is better.

And the wooden molds with the liners. Are the liners a square box, or seperate plates that just peel off the sides of the soap block?

PhillipJ said:
Seems that I am having trouble cutting my soap. When using a knife the edges sometimes want to break off because the knife pushes the block apart. I'm cutting fresh soap. Does a wire work a lot better?

Was looking at Paul's cutters and wondering if the Econo cutter leaves a clean cut, or the wire one is better.

And the wooden molds with the liners. Are the liners a square box, or separate plates that just peel off the sides of the soap block?

OK, here goes Phillip;

My TOG 8 Wire Cutter is just "the bomb!" It is very much like another on the Internet that sells for 3 times more than mine. On another forum, a lady just 2 days ago posted pictures of how my cutter cuts her soap and leaves the "face" so smooth and clean, perfect same width cuts every time. As for my Stainless steel single blade TOG Econo cutter, it cuts nicely too, just takes a bit more time to cut your log. NEA Soapworks just got her TOG Econo Cutter and will perhaps chime in on this thread. I'll ask her.
The TOG liners are so easy! They fit very tightly together in the mold to form a leak proof lining. When your soap is set and cooled, simply remove the log, slab or whatever set-up you have from me, peel off the liners from the soap and hand wash them under warm water and let dry. They are ready to use again in minutes if you want to. They are very, very durable, and if you want a second set, unlike some companies that charge as much for silicone liners than you paid for the mold the first time, a replacement set costs between $5.00 and $12.00 depending on what style of TOG Mold you have and the size!!!!

Whew, I think that was it! There are several SMF members who have my molds, cutters, bevelers, & soap dishes. :D 8)

Any other questions ask away!!!

Paul.... :) :wink:

Thank you Paul. If I am going to make soap it may as well look good. And who knows, someone might actually care to buy some.

I don't think I saw the Econo cutter- how much is that one? The wire cutter is awesome but out of my budget right now- I've already spent too much on Christmas? :(

The TOG Econo Cutter

DEFINATELY try the TOG Econo Cutter! I just got mine yesterday. I was planning on using it for the first time, for the introduction of my "Butter Bar". However, the batch failed (first failed batch, I'm gonna post pics!).

The Econo Cutter is fine for me, right now — and maybe for a long time. I like to keep it simple. Just slide the log in, slide the blade cutter in, and cut the soap.

I LOVE it!

Price!

leansoapqueen said:
How much was it NEA? :)
I think for my purposes right now that cutter would work better for me! :)

$29.95 (not including shipping). So for me, with shipping (to Michigan), it was about $37.

leansoapqueen said:
Cool thanks- great price... sounds like you really like it too.
Thanks for the great testimonial NEA! Your a peach! 8) Leansoapqueen, here is the direct link to my etsy site and to this log cutter;

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8132924

Thanks for looking! :D

PS: I'm coming out very soon with a dual TOG Econo Cutter. It will come with the straight blade AND a wavy, crinkle cutter blade. 8) It will also have adjustable stop for different thicknesses of soap bars! :D Look for it very soon! It will be a bit pricier though.

Paul... ") :wink:

leansoapqueen said:
What price range are you thinking for the dual- I like wavy cutters too! :) That one is great though and would be perfect!

There is one on the Internet like the one I will be making that sells for $60.00 with both cutting blades included. Mine will also have the straight stainless steel blade as well as the wavy, crinkle stainless steel cutting blade, with an adjustable stop block for each style cutter. My cutter will be less, of course! 8) I think I'll list it later tonight or tomorrow at my etsy site for $49.95, with shipping being an additional $8.00. :wink:

It will be a beautiful, knot free Premium White Pine product!

Yay!

Soapmaker Man said:
Mine will also have the straight stainless steel blade as well as the wavy, crinkle stainless steel cutting blade, with an adjustable stop block for each style cutter. My cutter will be less, of course! 8) I think I'll list it later tonight or tomorrow at my etsy site for $49.95, with shipping being an additional $8.00. :wink:

Yay! I'm gonna get me one!

Re: Yay!

NEASoapWorks said:
Soapmaker Man said:
Mine will also have the straight stainless steel blade as well as the wavy, crinkle stainless steel cutting blade, with an adjustable stop block for each style cutter. My cutter will be less, of course! 8) I think I'll list it later tonight or tomorrow at my etsy site for $49.95, with shipping being an additional $8.00. :wink:

Yay! I'm gonna get me one!

LOL, you have the first one that I built of the TOG Econo Straight Blade Cutter, and you just might as well have the first one of this newer style too, NEA!

Latest posts

Back