Winter Storage - Freezing OK??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilynmac

Reaction score
I do summertime in my RV, but close it up, winterize, and leave for the winter. It freezes and thaws with the weather. (Ohio).

What do you think will happen to the cp soap I keep there? Will it freeze and thaw OK? It shouldn't be subject to quick temp changes like when you take something out of the freezer to defrost. It might get arctic cold like last year, or it can hover above and below freezing all season.

I'm bumping this to see if anyone else may have an answer. My initial reaction was the soap would be fine but you really can't trust me. I'm basing my response on sticking loaves into the freezer which is different from soap freezing for months.

My thoughts, which are just musings on the subject.

Cured soap forms in to a structure, one of the reasons that curing is so important. Freezing a newly poured soap to prevent gel doesn't affect this as the structure should form after it is defrosted cut and left to cure.

If you freeze a soap with the structure, I would worry that tiny ice crystals could effect the structure of the soap. It may not be an issue or even be a consideration, but it is something that popped in to my head

I'm testing the idea right now, but I wanted them to freeze a while longer before using any. I have 6 bars in the freezer I'll probably use the first one in a couple weeks. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out...

I have left a bar of my soap in my camping trailer for the last 2-3 yrs, all yr round, through the 100+ degree down to the very cold freezes. I just used it again 2 weeks ago and it is fine. This particular bar has aged, in that it is no longer creamy-white, but now it is a light brown "aged" look, but the soap works great.

If you are planning to use the trailer as a storage place you might want to test a few bars over the winter to see if you have any changes, but as far as usability goes, not a problem.

Back