Winter Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipJ

Reaction score
Up here in the North, the winter air is awfull dry. I was just wondering if any of you Northern Soapers go with more free oils in thier soaps for the winter.

I think 5% still leaves my skin a little dry. Before I made soap, I never paid any attention. But now that there is some control over how I make it, hmmmm? Guess that's the benefit of making your own.

Is 8% a good place to try it at?

*watches closely*

living way up north as well, not far from the Canadian border here in North Dakota......

The only real drawback to a high lye discount like 8% is the chance of DOS getting in your soap. You can use a antioxidant like T-50 or GSE to help combat that problem. If you do go that high, you will have less bubbles probably, than at 5% discount. Adding a bit of sugar will help and also adding castor a bit too. Just give it a shot with your recipe, you never know until you try! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Thanks for the advice Paul. Happen to have some T50 on the way, and the recipe also calls for a little castor oil. Total lathering oils will run around 24%, so I should be ok.

Latest posts

Back