wine vs. beer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie

Reaction score
I have heard that beer tastes bad if the temps change too much, going from refrigerated to room temps and back. I have also tasted some awful bottled beer so I think it is true. Does the same go for wine? DH left a bunch of wine we bought for gifts in the car..... :hairpulling: While in the car the temps went from the 40's to the teens (°F). They are now in the fridge. I'm thinking they are no longer giftable but possibly drinkable.... ?

I don't know about wine, but beer will depend on the maker. Cheap mass produced beer absolutely is affected by fluctuating temps. A well made beer, not so much. I was gifted two bottles of beer from a wine loving friend. Not being a beer fan, the bottles had been stored in a cupboard above her fridge (so quite warm) for several years until she found them when cleaning and it occurred to her that I might enjoy them. Both beers were fantastic. I imagine like beer, the wine will depend on the quality of the maker.

After typing this I re-read what you wrote and realized you were talking about cold to colder temps. Your wine is probably fine for gifting and drinking.

If we gift them they would go back to room temp. Or I could gift them to parents only and send them home with coolers, lol

I have heard that beer tastes bad if the temps change too much, going from refrigerated to room temps and back. I have also tasted some awful bottled beer so I think it is true. Does the same go for wine? DH left a bunch of wine we bought for gifts in the car..... :hairpulling: While in the car the temps went from the 40's to the teens (°F). They are now in the fridge. I'm thinking they are no longer giftable but possibly drinkable.... ?
as amd said, it will depend on the wine.
However, it doesn't seem like the fluctuations are going to be extreme and for long periods of time. Meaning it's going to go from 40° to 80° in 20 minutes. Nor will it be in direct sunlight (I assume?) It will be a gradual going back to room temp, so think you are good.
Also, as long as it's bottled/corked, and not been open, I also don't think there should be a problem. Most wines need to sit and "breathe" a bit after they are uncorked anyway for the flavors to really get to their optimum when drinking it.

I wouldn't say I'm a wine connoisseur, but I'm in 3 wine clubs and pick up tips here and there. Someone who really knows wine might come along and be more helpful.

Or I could gift them to parents only and send them home with coolers, lol
Please don't gift wine to children :p

In all seriousness, was the wine in a cooler when you bought it or was it on display on the floor at room temp? If the latter, your wine is probably fine to allow to come to room temp before it goes back into someone's fridge.

I think what I am worried about is refermentation
I don't think you have to worry about that, unless you are opening the bottles and adding sugar for the yeast to react with, there won't be anything to react with to referment. It is as fermented as it's going to get. Unless, again, it's a poorly made wine... in which case, if there was anything to referment, it probably would have already done that on the store shelf when it was room temp. Taking wine from room temp, to cold, to room temp isn't going to activate fermentation. Fermentation is the process of yeast and sugar. If there is no active sugar for the yeast to feed on it stops fermenting.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

@amd Everyone I asked in person just said it would be fine but couldn't give a reason, so thanks for providing a good reason with your answer. I stumbled on this page which talks about refermentation https://winemakermag.com/wine-wizard/131-can-i-fix-a-re-fermented-wine but couldn't read it earlier. It sounds like as you said, if it is good wine it should be fine.

@jcandleattic It is very reassuring that you think it is ok. Three wine clubs! That is expert enough for me.

@thetoe Ha so I was totally off track. I don't know why it took me so long to look up "why does beer get skunky". Wish I had started there.

Few, y'all saved me a bundle!!!

Thanks so much for your feedback!

@thetoe Ha so I was totally off track. I don't know why it took me so long to look up "why does beer get skunky". Wish I had started there.

Right on! I'm new to soap but been brewing beer for a long time!

Latest posts

Back