Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soaprincess

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the soap fandom so I thought making glycerin soap was a good and simple start. I've only been making soap that way (glycerin, a nice essential oil, soap colorant and sometimes poppy seeds or any other cool one.)
The thing is, my friend had a great red wine glycerin soap and I wanted to try to make one for me. It really smells like wine but without alcohol. I've been told not no mix wine and glycerine together but I really don't know. Does anyone have any recipes or tips? I could really use some advice. Thank you!! (sorry if my english is not perfect but it's not my 1st language.)

There is a good recipe and tutorial at SoapQueen.com. Just search for wine soap. Also there are a few videos on YouTube.

Wine or any liquid is not supposed to be added to m&p base. The wine soap on Soapqueen is a cp wine soap which I would consider a more advanced technique. Using beer and wines have their own issues. You also will get no fragrance from the wine so will need a wine fragrance if you want a wine fragrance.

Melt and Pour bases are just what they state melt and pour. They are finished bases that will hold minimal amounts of additives such as a titch of oil or extracts.

Wine soap sounds intriguing, but I have to agree with cmzaha. You won't get any fragrance from the wine you use and how much of its color(?). I really like this tutorial:

This method allows for the sugars and alcohol to be used to help make the batter smoother.

The alcohol in the wine would serve as a solvent, but other than that does one get any other benefits from using wine? More lather from the sugars? :)

I think I'll try a small batch to see what benefits, if any, there are to using wine in cold process as well. I'm also curious as to how I could incorporate wine to help making transparent soaps. Yay, possibilities! :-D Time to buy a very cheap bottle of Moscato and pinot grigio to test!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm new to the soap fandom so I thought making glycerin soap was a good and simple start. I've only been making soap that way (glycerin, a nice essential oil, soap colorant and sometimes poppy seeds or any other cool one.)
The thing is, my friend had a great red wine glycerin soap and I wanted to try to make one for me. It really smells like wine but without alcohol. I've been told not no mix wine and glycerine together but I really don't know. Does anyone have any recipes or tips? I could really use some advice. Thank you!! (sorry if my english is not perfect but it's not my 1st language.)

You are not able to add wine to a MP based soap as it is just what it states, Melt and Pour. However, there are fragrance oils that are wine scented that are compatible in MP bases along with colorants. By using the wine scented FO and a colorant that would mimic the color of the wine in a crystal clear MP base, you would be able to get a "wine soap", but it would not actually contain wine. To be able to use wine in the soap, you would have to do a CP soap, but still use a wine scented FO for the scent since the actual scent from the added wine would not survive the lye and sapunification.

The OP is doing MP. Not CP. Wine would add some sugar and give some bubbles. Otherwise for most it’s just label appeal in CP.
Agreed. Okay then, transparent soap test ahoy! :-D If I can make it work with transparency, I can then claim my alcohol-based transparent soaps are all natural, organic! The alcohol is from the fermentation process created by our lovely single-celled friends, right?!

Back