Wine soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some wine in the next batch.

Do you use it in place of water in the lye solution?

White wine versus red wine, what are the end color results and what did you think of the bar when you used it?

I'd love to know, as well. My husband makes wine, so we have a ton of it around.

The colour doesn't survive the CP process, but apparently wine soap has nice lather.

Has anybody tried it yet?

I've wanted to try it as well. We also make homemade wine...and would love to use it in soap. I do know from reading around that it needs to be boiled beforehand, but curious how it ends up after it cures.

Would love to hear anyones experience with it.

I have made beer soap before. I used the beer in place of water. I did not boil it first. I have used many things in place of water. Juices of many kinds, Karo syrup, even coconut cream! Yes it can be done. Wine is a great idea! I might try it myself. Thank you.

I started to, but the lye turned the wine an ugly brown. Red wine and white wine were equally as brown. It was ugly so I didn't go forward with it.

I've used red wine in my soap before. When I mixed the lye into it...it turned an ugly muddy brown color and smelled awful!!! The whole house reaked for days!!! But after it cured, I've got this lovely maroon/burgundy color. I say go for it...just ignore the color of the lye water (or lye wine!?!?) :D

Alright, well I made a batch of red and a batch of white wine soap yesterday.

The color is good, almondy colored white and burgundy red.. but there is hardly any scent to speak of! :( I'm going to try and rebatch it with my favorite bouquets for reds and whites to see if I can get a nice wine-like end product.

My batch

I made this yesterday with red wine. I poured it out in a bowl, let it sit for about 24 hours, boiled it for 15 minutes, cooled to room temp, added lye. It turned black for a mintue then setteled in to a bright orange/yellow/brownish color.

This is it before and at trace.

I added a spoon of syrup made of confectioner's sugar at light trace and it lumped (shouldn't have done that, since the wine had sugar in it already), so I added some ground oatmeal to camoflauge it. I used sun ripened raspberry FO, the red wine was also raspberry.

Poured into the mold:

Out of the mold this morning:

It's not red :(

Back