wine soap issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drawnbybarb

Reaction score
I have made red wine soap. But being the impatient one I am, I thought it wasn't really necessary to boil off the alcohol. But I was wrong! I did get the 'soap on a stick' ! However, I managed to save it, and it's a great bar!

Thanks for all the info here!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with frozen wine you risked having a very ugly volcano situation. I would not advise not burning of the alcohol again. This comes from experience and I was using frozen wine that had been simmered awhile. Always use a large container for mixing lye and beers or wines, you never know when it will decide to boil over. Trust me it cannot be trusted.... You also should not mix soap batter in pyrex pitchers. They can etch over time from the lye and break unexpectedly. It is nice you posted your procedure but I can only hope no one follows it. SAFETY is first in soapmaking and necessary, impatience can cause severe accidents

Last edited:
Well, that is surprising to me. I had thought Pyrex was more stable and less likely to have any etching and residue imbedded in the material. I will keep that in mind. I will do some research. I have made dozens of recipes with frozen milks etc, and only had that happen due to the alcohol. Thanks for your input.

I've had 1 lye volcano happen and two near-volcanoes when I used beer and ciders to soap with. Each time, I simmered the CO2 and the alcohol off. Like Carolyn said, using a tall, type 2, 5, or 7 plastic container (2qts is good) is the safest way to go with alcohol, IMO. It's not fun cleaning that stuff up. on the plus side, you have a tall container for mixing soap if you don't use alcohol. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back