Will soap keep curing in retail boxes? Or is it a DOS invite?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NsMar42111

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone lets their soap finish curing in individual retail boxes (the cardboard ones with a cutout)? I just started using boxes and I like the idea of being able to just grab and go off the shelf instead of wait a month or six weeks then box and label and if I made a ton of batches try not to mix them up with lot numbers and such.... but I just got done battling DOS issues and don't want more!

My thought was to put them in the boxes at the two week mark...am I crazy?

I can't help, but wonder if it depends on the size of the hole ?

Kinda of like I wonder if leaving 1" or 1/8" between soaps on a rack make enough difference in curing ?

I am watching this because I have some great cardboard storage boxes I would like to put my soaps in, they are at 6 wks (give or take) but I too am worried about DOS, not with the recipe but with the storage.
Is that what your DOS issue was ?

I guess there's no harm in it, but I don't think I'd do it because the boxes will prevent you from inspecting the bars while they're curing. Sometimes things happen during that time that I want to know about by looking at the soap. IMO, if your soap is going to get spots of DOS, that's going to happen whether you put the bars in boxes or not.

I will put them in the cardboard raspberry boxes (from COSTCO) to cure if my shelves are full. I like them with paper towel and can then stack them. I’ve never had an issue or DOS.

I can't help, but wonder if it depends on the size of the hole ?

Kinda of like I wonder if leaving 1" or 1/8" between soaps on a rack make enough difference in curing ?

I am watching this because I have some great cardboard storage boxes I would like to put my soaps in, they are at 6 wks (give or take) but I too am worried about DOS, not with the recipe but with the storage.
Is that what your DOS issue was ?
Six weeks is long enough cure before putting them in cardboard boxes for my soap anyway.

I should include picture of the box :). boxes.jpg This is the "box" I mean. I store them after cure in shoeboxes (the photo box type from the craft store) , but I'm figuring out if they'll be ok in the retail packaging during cure.

DeeAnna that's a good point about being able to watch them...would be a pain to unbox and check each one. Could do random inspections and leave a few bars unboxed maybe...

Lin19687, you can read about my issues here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/me-vs-dos-and-more-the-epic-battle.69630/ . Hopefully it helps you :). *knock on wood*

Personally, I wouldn't want to box them until they are ready for sale. Taking them out would definitely be a pain.

I like those boxes, too. Somewhere I got a few of them (maybe a de-stash or something) and packaged a few bars when they were ready to be gifted to family. A nice little ribbon (I buy rolls of ribbons when they are on clearance) and a sticky label and it's all ready to go. Easy peasy.

Latest posts

Back