Will Plop and Glop Equal Flop?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
So I finished making my soaps last week, and I have a little time until I have to make the soaps for my son's April wedding, but I wanted needed to make soap. Y'all know how that goes. So it was time for an experiment.

Inspired by John Harris and his slab mold escapades, I dug out my little 6" silicone slab mold, and figured out how much to use to make six 2x3 inch bars at about 5 oz each. (approximately 20 oz of oils). If I fill the mold full, (28 oz of oils) I think the bars are too chubby, so that's why I went with less. But I digress....

I decided since the soap was not made for gifting, I wanted a really luxurious, creamy soap, so my formula ended up having a 53/47 sat/unsat ratio. 40% butters, 20% tallow, 20% coconut oil, leaving 20% for liquid oil. My fragrance (Earth Meets Sky from Nurture) doesn't accelerate, but I knew the soap would harden fast. By the time I stirred in the colors (plain base, with purple, blue, and green), there was no way I could even do an ITP swirl, so I just started plopping it in the mold in clumps. Colors aren't as vibrant as I'd like (the green should morph brighter), but whatever.

1634148459259.png

Sometimes plop 'n glop soaps are the best. One of my favorites to use in the shower was an ugly as homemade sin plop 'n glop bar that started to gel in the soap pot!

I decided to experiment with some stearic acid I had lying around, then I soaped it too hot; and on top of all that I used a slightly accelerating FO.

I had to cram it into a mold with a silicone spatula and stick it the freezer to keep it from going total volcano. Gawd it was an ugly black activated charcoal mess!

Six weeks later it was rock hard and still ugly as homemade sin; but man did it feel luxurious in the shower. Sometimes accidents are happy ones. 😂

So I finished making my soaps last week, and I have a little time until I have to make the soaps for my son's April wedding, but I wanted needed to make soap. Y'all know how that goes. So it was time for an experiment.

Inspired by John Harris and his slab mold escapades, I dug out my little 6" silicone slab mold, and figured out how much to use to make six 2x3 inch bars at about 5 oz each. (approximately 20 oz of oils). If I fill the mold full, (28 oz of oils) I think the bars are too chubby, so that's why I went with less. But I digress....

I decided since the soap was not made for gifting, I wanted a really luxurious, creamy soap, so my formula ended up having a 53/47 sat/unsat ratio. 40% butters, 20% tallow, 20% coconut oil, leaving 20% for liquid oil. My fragrance (Earth Meets Sky from Nurture) doesn't accelerate, but I knew the soap would harden fast. By the time I stirred in the colors (plain base, with purple, blue, and green), there was no way I could even do an ITP swirl, so I just started plopping it in the mold in clumps. Colors aren't as vibrant as I'd like (the green should morph brighter), but whatever.

View attachment 61685
Where is the cut? It looks like it will be beautiful!

Where is the cut? It looks like it will be beautiful!

It wasn't. :confused: I have come to the conclusion that something done like this in a slab mold needs vibrant colors. Pastels just aren't going to cut it. No pun intended. Plus I can never cut the 6" slab molds so the bars look right. That's OK--this was a batch just for me. It smells great, and with all the butters, it's going to feel really nice too. I just need to wait until it cures.

I love what you did on the top...and I think the colors are divine. Last time I ended up with a plop and glop I couldn't even drag a spoon over the top to make it look nice! I love it!

Just an FYI: Asking topic-related questions on an old thread (aka "necroposting") is not a problem but it's best to start a new thread if your question isn't related to the topic (aka "hijacking a thread").

TIP: To get @LynetteO 's attention, put an "@" before the name. That way, if she's still around, she will get an alert and most likely respond.

Latest posts

Back