Will Paper Trimmer Work as a Makeshift Soap Cutter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebirdwing

Reaction score
Since paper trimmer should be sturdy and sharp to cut through a stack of paper, will it work as a makeshift soap cutter? I am attaching a pic of the paper trimmer.

1615051611282.png

Since paper trimmer should be sturdy and sharp to cut through a stack of paper, will it work as a makeshift soap cutter? I am attaching a pic of the paper trimmer.

No...it will squish your soap. I used a Cheese Slicer for the first year. I used a Black Sharpie to make a lines 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" from the wire and then I bought a round dowel from Home Depot, sanded one side flat, sanded slicer about 3/4" from the edge and super glued the dowel down. I got a heck of a deal on a used Bud, but I still use the cheese slicer for text batches.

A thin, broad blade kitchen knife works also.
Thats what I am using now, cannot slice equally with it.

You can buy this soap cutter with a 15 percent off by using the discount code of FLAT15OFF. It does not have the wire to cut but you can use a stainless steel knife.

https://www.soapatopia.com/product/wooden-soap-cutter/
Have you bought from them? Is it of good quality?

No...it will squish your soap. I used a Cheese Slicer for the first year. I used a Black Sharpie to make a lines 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" from the wire and then I bought a round dowel from Home Depot, sanded one side flat, sanded slicer about 3/4" from the edge and super glued the dowel down. I got a heck of a deal on a used Bud, but I still use the cheese slicer for text batches.
Oh Ok. Cheese slicer is not a common thing here and expensive to purchase from abroad.

yes, I have bought it. I am in Chennai and the seller is also in Tamilnadu. The pricing is good and you also get a 15 percent discount on your first order. The quality is also very good.

Thats what I am using now, cannot slice equally with it.
If you can get a mitre block, I'm getting reasonably good results combining that with a kitchen knife. Not perfect, and it does depend on measuring correctly, but it's great for making sure you're cutting straight down after starting, rather than going off at an angle.

If you can get a mitre block, I'm getting reasonably good results combining that with a kitchen knife. Not perfect, and it does depend on measuring correctly, but it's great for making sure you're cutting straight down after starting, rather than going off at an angle.
I dont know what is a mitre block, but, I will look it up. Thank you.

Back