Will oven processing in CPOP damage the oven?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you for the reply shunt! :) i thought I'd already ruined the batch.

When I told my DH about the oven cleaner, he reminded me that our oven is self-cleaning and that we are not supposed to use those cleaners.

Do you know how the oven self-cleaning? the temp. for that it is very high, as well you have the option of cleaning your oven with the very caustic products, that is not forbidden. Today most of the ovens are self-cleaning.

Due to lack of time, I decided to just crockpot it again, since I am so unfamiliar with CPOP. I have to have 5 bars of soap ready for tomorrow.

It's cooking now, but I am very concerned! It looks nothing like my first batch! This one came to trace much faster, like within 5 min., and jelled within 30 min. My first batch took 30 min. to trace and 4 hours of cooking!

This batch has sooooooooooooo much oil in it...it is literally swimming in oil!! I am afraid that I may have messed it up using a different recipe! : (

Last edited:
With all due respect, perhaps you should tell your friend you are not able to give her soaps right now. You don't know how they will hold up over time, and by using a new recipe you've not tested, you are doing yourself and your friend a huge disservice.
HP and CPOP might be safe to use the next day, but they melt away quickly , don't lather as nice, and don't feel as nice as a nicely cured bar. I would hate for your friend's friends to not appreciate your soap at its full potential.

Hmm...never knew these things! I am glad to be learning from you all!

The soap that I made last night turned out fine. I was planning to attach a tag to not use till after Christmas and explain that it needs to cure, so I think we are safe here.

If you need soap quickly you could always use a Melt and Pour base. You would be able to use it right after it sets up. Then you could save your other soap and let it Cure properly that way if there ends up being an issue with the batch you can catch it before it is used.

Todd

On the homemade solar ovens-aren't most of them made with aluminum foil? If that is the design you are looking at, I would stay away from the aluminum. Lye and aluminum react badly. And there is still active lye when you put your mold in, so if it volcanoed, I'm not sure but I would suspect it would react.

The solar oven is cheap to make - the most expensive part would be the glass or plexi glass top. So I figure, if there's a major spill, just toss the whole thing. Everything else is literally cardboard and foil.

The solar oven is cheap to make - the most expensive part would be the glass or plexi glass top. So I figure, if there's a major spill, just toss the whole thing. Everything else is literally cardboard and foil.

If you wrap the plexi in a clear plastic wrap I would think it would protect it enough to save the plexi if you caught it soon enough.

Todd

I thought goat's milk soap was better if it didn't gel in which case you would put it in the fridge rather than the oven. Is this right?

For other recipes wouldn't you know when you pour the batter into the mold if it has worked or not (ie: going to volcano)? So heating the oven to 100 deg F, turning it off and putting the soap mold in a box and wrapping it in a towel wouldn't be an issue for a good oven.

Last edited:
If you need soap quickly you could always use a Melt and Pour base. You would be able to use it right after it sets up. Then you could save your other soap and let it Cure properly that way if there ends up being an issue with the batch you can catch it before it is used.

Todd

How would I do a melt and pour goat milk soap?

I thought goat's milk soap was better if it didn't gel in which case you would put it in the fridge rather than the oven. Is this right?

For other recipes wouldn't you know when you pour the batter into the mold if it has worked or not (ie: going to volcano)? So heating the oven to 100 deg F, turning it off and putting the soap mold in a box and wrapping it in a towel wouldn't be an issue for a good oven.

I gel all my milk soaps. I use Goat's Milk, buttermilk, cream and coconut milk. It's generally a pale beige color if I don't color the batter.

If you have made a lot of batches, you can usually see it coming. But you may do all the usual stuff (same recipe, procedures, etc) with a new FO and it happens unexpectedly. I have never had a true "volcano". I have had soap overheat and start to rise in the mold and then I spend the next hour stirring it every 5 minutes or so to release heat until it leaves the "danger zone". I have to use my thermometer, b/c other wise I get impatient and convince myself that it's cool enough to mix and it's really not!

I have only had a couple try to volcano on me, I put ice and cold water into the sink, and held the mold in there (submerged to JUST below the lip of the mold) until it stopped rising.

I gel all my milk soaps. I use Goat's Milk, buttermilk, cream and coconut milk. It's generally a pale beige color if I don't color the batter.
The beige color is mostly from milk's/honey's reaction with lye, but is it for the gel phase / high temperature also? Meaning than one can get very little beige colour if the soap loaf is kept in a cold environment aka fridge?

If you have made a lot of batches, you can usually see it coming. But you may do all the usual stuff (same recipe, procedures, etc) with a new FO and it happens unexpectedly. I have never had a true "volcano". I have had soap overheat and start to rise in the mold and then I spend the next hour stirring it every 5 minutes or so to release heat until it leaves the "danger zone". I have to use my thermometer, b/c other wise I get impatient and convince myself that it's cool enough to mix and it's really not!

Thank you. I haven't experienced that yet!

Back