Will my soap brown?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pametan

Reaction score
I made an ambitious 3! Batches of soap today. By the third batch I ran out of the measuring cups I use to measure and mix my water and lye. So I grabbed this bowl that I thought was stainless steal. I finished making the soap. This one was hot process and went to wash the bowl and noticed a discoloration to the line that the lye water was at. (See pic below -I tried my best to capture it.) Is This an indication it's not stainless steal? I got it at dollarama and usually use it for lip balm. Will this discolor my soap? I don't want a ruined batch - we all know how expensive it Is!

1490054673007.jpg

It may not discolor your soap but it looks like it reacted with the lye so you will likely have some contamination from the reaction. May also cause your soap to get DOS. I have no experience with it but I'm sure one of our esteemed science people will pipe in with more knowledge.

your question...

there are many grades of stainless steel.....try attaching a magnet to the bowl if it sticks its low grade and yea lye will react with it....its etching the bowl ....wouldn't worry to much about it ...won't harm the soap but will screw up the bowl....We see a lot of this when mixing large amounts of soap using a drill and paint mixer....why we advise the paddle mixer from soap equipment...

I made an ambitious 3! Batches of soap today. By the third batch I ran out of the measuring cups I use to measure and mix my water and lye. So I grabbed this bowl that I thought was stainless steal. I finished making the soap. This one was hot process and went to wash the bowl and noticed a discoloration to the line that the lye water was at. (See pic below -I tried my best to capture it.) Is This an indication it's not stainless steal? I got it at dollarama and usually use it for lip balm. Will this discolor my soap? I don't want a ruined batch - we all know how expensive it Is!

Hi pametan,

The grey/black you are seeing is slight corrosion of the stainless. This happens more often with a lower grade stainless, but can really happen with any grade if the temperature of your liquid lye goes up.

Stainless is pretty resistant to liquid lye at all "hand comfortable" amounts, but once it's too hot to touch the outside of the bowl, you will be getting some amount of etching of the metal. This etching can be made even worse if you are stirring with a metal spoon (because then you are taking off the protective layer of chromium in oxygen-less conditions and then the lye can "eat" at the metal faster).

With the amount of discolouration you are seeing on your bowl, you probably won't see anything in your soap, and you should be able to scrub the bowl back to shiny as well.

If you were to see any discolouration in your soap, it wouldn't be brown, it would be dark grey or black looking, and would form tiny flecks, or super-thin lines, that drop to the bottom of your soap bars if you poured your soap as a liquid. If your soap was hard from the hot process, you may not see this effect at all.

So, to answer your question, no. Your soap will not turn brown from the metal. Looking at your bowl, I doubt there was enough corrosion to colour your soap at all.

Thanks for your help everyone!

The magnet stuck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those bluish oxides in the bowl might rust if not removed. There is a scouring powder (in the US) made for stainless steel called Barkeeper's Friend. It includes oxalic acid and will instantly re-passivate stainless steel. There is a liquid version as well. All you have to do is clean the bowl with BKF and a green scrubby, rinse and dry. Should be good as new afterward.

Back