Will my soap be alright

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foundpeace04

Reaction score
Hi I am new and have just made my second batch of soap..The first had difficulty getting to trace so rebatched the next day but this second batch came to trace in about 5 mins. I added the extras then it started to set quick and I had to glump it into the silicone container till full..the top looks very rough and crack like..will the rest be ok? Or should i do something with this lot..it is still warm? Many thanks for ur responses.:razz:

Hi there and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Posting your full recipe with weights plus your process will really help diagnose your problem. If you used the same recipe and procedure both times with one tracing slowly and one tracing quickly, it's usually due to the fragrance but not always. Give us more info and we'll be happy to help you figure it out!

thanks for replying..my recipe was alittle different to the first but not much..
350g Coconut oil
850g olive oil
60g avocado oil
173g lye
200g water
I heated the oils and the lye/water separately and both were around 50 degrees when i mixed them together which was looking fine

at trace, well what i thought was trace as it was thickening quickly, i added 200g goats milk semi frozen and some 1/4 oats and some honey

it started to change quickly just before and after the goats milk and i think i just got the oats and honey mixed through LOL

Last edited:
So, what kind of problem did you have? When doing the 50/50 split with milk/water I have never frozen my milk. I just mix my lye with the water portion, add the liquid milk to my oils and stickblend well the add my lye mixture. If everything worked out and you had no issues with separation or other problem then your soap should be fine. Just be sure to zap test it and if no zap you are good to go.

ok thanks I used a stick blender too but added milk once it started to thicken..what is the zap test plz? It has hardened today and looks messy made looking but soap like haha

50 C is a little warmer than I would normally soap especially with a recipe that is going to stay liquid at around 30 C. However, that recipe should trace pretty slowly even with the added heat. It sounds to me that the honey and GM heated and accelerated trace.

Zap test is where you take a bit of soap and place it on your tounge to check and see if it "zaps" you. It will feel like a jolt on your tounge. Check out the sticky in the beginners forum titled "Zap test, a visual guide". It will help you understand how to do it. It's very simple and reliable.

I agree with Galaxy that your temp was a bit high to start then the milk and honey heated it up more. When I use milk I stick blend it into the oils before I add the lye. When I use honey (or any sugar) I add it to the cooled lye water. It will make the lye water heat back up so I wait for it to cool again. Then when I add the lye/sugar water to the oils it doesn't get as hot. By looking at your recipe in Soap Calc it looks good so you should have nice soap. You're going to have a high superfat though because of the milk.

Congrats on your second batch of soap and welcome to the addiction!

Thank you for ur responses..most helpful for my next batch..I feel alittle strange to do the zap test putting soap on my tongue lol..but will try it..thanks again for all the information :p have a great day

Well i did the zap test and didnt really taste or feel anything other than eww...so i cut it and it looks like i didnt get the oats and honey mixed through well but never mind as long as it is usable..looks like a really bad cooked cake or bread loaf lol.. picture in attachment, hopefully i will master this soap making in time!!

soap.jpg

To me the zap test is like placing a battery against your tongue when it zaps. Believe me you'll know if your soap zaps. So glad you saved thr soap!

Latest posts

Back