Wild Sourdough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second attempt was much better, although I think my starter was too aged, the bread was quite vinegar tasting. I'm attempting a second (third) loaf this weekend with the scraping method again if my day drinking doesn't get in the way...

Hi Jersey Girl........yes, Jack's video that you posted is the technique I've been using to make my bread, and it's been working out really well for me:

1) Two nights before baking the bread I take my starter scrapings jar out of the fridge and fill it with equal amounts of water and rye flour up to the weight amount of starter that my recipe calls for (I do this right before I go to bed).

2) Sometime the next day when it looks like the starter has good activity like you see in the video, or better, I weigh out the starter I need, put the (covered) scrapings jar back in the fridge for next time, then I start making my bread dough and go through the stretch & folds like Jack does in the video.

3) After the final shaping, I plop the shaped dough into a proofing basket and stick it in the fridge overnight, and then I bake whenever I feel like it the next day.

I find that the coldness/firmness of the dough from the slow proof in the fridge really helps when it comes to carving designs in the dough with the razor, as compared to trying to carve into room-temp dough. I have much better success if the dough is cold.

I was reading under the comments of Jack's video and he says that if you don't want to do the slow overnight proof in the fridge, you can do what he does for his sourdough classes where an overnight rise is impossible.....After putting the shaped dough in the proofing basket, let it rest at room temp for 45 minutes, then rest again in the fridge for 45 to 60 minutes, then bake it right from the fridge. He says they come out lovely this way, but an overnight rise in the fridge is well worth it.

IrishLass :)

Thank you for this info. I was stressing about the timing of everything. What do you use as a basket for proofing? I don’t have one.

Thank you for this info. I was stressing about the timing of everything. What do you use as a basket for proofing? I don’t have one.

I have a coiled brotform/banneton made of rattan, but like Misschief said, you can use a well floured tea towel in a bowl. Brotforms/bannetons come in different sizes, depending on the weight of the dough for your your loaf. I have an 8" round one (measured rim to rim) and it fits my batches of dough weighing from 1 to 1 1/2 lbs (roughly a a 2 to 3-cup flour loaf).

I don't know how big your loaf is or what size bowls you have, but I find it helps to have an appropriately sized bowl as per the weight of your dough in order to help keep it's shape from spreading out too much during proof. These are from my notes, which you can use as a plumb line for your bowl size:

Dough Weight to Banneton/brotform Size:

· 8" rim to rim x 4 1/4 depth " Round Banneton/Brotform will accommodate 1 - 1 ½ lb of dough
· 10" rim to rim x 4 3/4" depth Round Banneton/Brotform will accommodate 1 1/2 - 2 lb of dough
· 12" rim to rim x 6" depth Round Banneton/Brotform will accommodate 3 - 4 lb of dough

I’m finding out there is quite a learning curve for this sourdough thing. Lol. I didn’t get a lot of activity from my starter even though I followed Mary’s Nest recipe to a T an waited 5.5 days. I ended up following through with her bread recipe because Of the timing and this am the dough had increases in size somewhat but was very sticky. I went ahead and shaped it anyway and it’s resting but I don’t have a lot of hope for the final product. I made two new starters following her method again and one other method. Trying this again! I’m determined to get this right! Soaping is much easier! o_O

I used white rye flour that I ordered from Bakers Authority for the starter. It really didn’t come to life like it should have. I’m trying again. The end result was a fail. It didn’t rise properly. I’ll try Jacks technique next try.

Were they out of the whole meal rye (the Ardent Mills Rye Meal Pumpernickel Flour)? I use wholemeal for mine and it took off like gangbusters.

Were they out of the whole meal rye (the Ardent Mills Rye Meal Pumpernickel Flour)? I use wholemeal for mine and it took off like gangbusters.

No, it was plain white rye flour. I am happy to report though that i started two more last night, one of Mary’s again and the other Jacks technique. Jacks doubled in size overnight and I just fed it again As he instructs. I have a good feeling about this one.

A market friend of mine sews fabric baskets (this is sourdough related, trust me); they're quite firm and she's been experimenting with different designs. She wonders if these sculpted
20200522_162203.jpg
baskets would work as a banneton and asked if someone would be willing to give it a go. She dropped this one off this afternoon and I have it floured up and ready to go for tomorrow's bread baking.

@IrishLass Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I’m soooo excited. After many attempts to get a starter going and then finally giving up a friend gave me one a couple days ago spent the entire day yesterday, watching Bake with Jack video and copying his every technique. Put this in the oven this morning after resting in the fridge and lookee what I did! I’m soooo happy! There will be butter dripping down my chin soon. Sitting on my hands waiting for it to cool.😂

Attachments

• IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Awesome!!!! That looks yummy! :D

I got experimental with my starter over the winter and started making my cinnamon raisin Nutella loaf every week using the starter instead of regular yeast like I normally do with my raisin bread. I was nervous on the first go, hoping it wouldn't taste off-putingly sour, but I need not have worried. To my delight, it wasn't sour at all, and now it's the only way I make my raisin bread.

Back