Wild Sourdough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Made my first wild sourdough starter 5 days ago and then made my first sourdough bread with it today:

Before popping it into the oven:

IMG_20200407_114309706 (2)FirstRealSourdough4072020resized640.jpg

Fresh out of the oven:

IMG_20200407_130924762~2FirstRealSourdoughBaked4072020Resized640.jpg

I haven't cut into it yet because it's still hot. I can only hope it looks okay inside, because I didn't use a very strong flour to make it. I used my favorite homemade blend of 3 parts All purpose flour mixed with 1 part whole wheat flour, some wheat germ, and a bit of vital wheat gluten to make my version of a healthier high protein bread flour......but wouldn't you know it, I forgot to add the vital wheat gluten to the mix. Grrrrrr!!! So....the grain might be more dense than airy. Oh well..it should at least have good flavor.

I've made sourdough bread before lots of times, but it was from a 'cheater' starter.....by 'cheater', I mean I injected a tiny bit of active dry yeast into the flour to get the starter going, but this time, I wanted to try and see if I could get a starter going by letting nature take its course without my help.....

Over four days, I mixed up tablespoon increments of Arrowhead Mills organic wholemeal rye flour and water in a jar which I covered with cheesecloth, and lo and behold- it's alive!!! By Day 4, my jar was so alive with naturally occurring yeast that it was 1/4 of an inch from flowing out the top of the jar if I didn't do something about it (the starter had tripled its size), so I made a 'sponge' using most of it, let the sponge sit over night and then proceeded to make bread dough out of it. The remaining small bit of starter I put into the fridge.

I followed YouTuber Mary Nest's Foolproof Sourdough Starter recipe to make the starter, and then after that, I ran into Youtuber Bake With Jack's video on his stretch & fold/long ferment technique for sourdough, and decided to use his method for making my actual dough.

I've also decided to adopt no waste/no-discard method of taking care of sourdough starter that Bake With Jack talks about in the video I've posted below, which I think is absolutely brilliant (where has that method been hiding all my life?)......especially during these recent times when access to flour has been pretty much a no-go in my area........

My neighborhood grocery stores have been out of flour and yeast for weeks now, and my usual online sources (King Arthur Flour, Pleasant Grain Mills, Breadtopia) are totally wiped out of their stock and there's a long waiting list for it. It's crazy! Thankfully, I was able to order some flour online to reinforce my dwindling supply for a good price from a restaurant supply store I found that also sells to home bakers, although the shipping was a bit high for the smaller amount I bought..... but it's hard to complain about that when area shelves continue to stare back at me empty......or at least they do whenever I happen to venture out to the stores. Who knows, though...maybe I have bad timing and keep getting there a minute too late. lol

Here's Jack:

Made my first wild sourdough starter 5 days ago and then made my first sourdough bread with it today:

Before popping it into the oven:

View attachment 44998

Fresh out of the oven:

View attachment 44999

I haven't cut into it yet because it's still hot. I can only hope it looks okay inside, because I didn't use a very strong flour to make it. I used my favorite homemade blend of 3 parts All purpose flour mixed with 1 part whole wheat flour, some wheat germ, and a bit of vital wheat gluten to make my version of a healthier high protein bread flour......but wouldn't you know it, I forgot to add the vital wheat gluten to the mix. Grrrrrr!!! So....the grain might be more dense than airy. Oh well..it should at least have good flavor.

I've made sourdough bread before lots of times, but it was from a 'cheater' starter.....by 'cheater', I mean I injected a tiny bit of active dry yeast into the flour to get the starter going, but this time, I wanted to try and see if I could get a starter going by letting nature take its course without my help.....

Over four days, I mixed up tablespoon increments of Arrowhead Mills organic wholemeal rye flour and water in a jar which I covered with cheesecloth, and lo and behold- it's alive!!! By Day 4, my jar was so alive with naturally occurring yeast that it was 1/4 of an inch from flowing out the top of the jar if I didn't do something about it (the starter had tripled its size), so I made a 'sponge' using most of it, let the sponge sit over night and then proceeded to make bread dough out of it. The remaining small bit of starter I put into the fridge.

I followed YouTuber Mary Nest's Foolproof Sourdough Starter recipe to make the starter, and then after that, I ran into Youtuber Bake With Jack's video on his stretch & fold/long ferment technique for sourdough, and decided to use his method for making my actual dough.

I've also decided to adopt no waste/no-discard method of taking care of sourdough starter that Bake With Jack talks about in the video I've posted below, which I think is absolutely brilliant (where has that method been hiding all my life?)......especially during these recent times when access to flour has been pretty much a no-go in my area........

My neighborhood grocery stores have been out of flour and yeast for weeks now, and my usual online sources (King Arthur Flour, Pleasant Grain Mills, Breadtopia) are totally wiped out of their stock and there's a long waiting list for it. It's crazy! Thankfully, I was able to order some flour online to reinforce my dwindling supply for a good price from a restaurant supply store I found that also sells to home bakers, although the shipping was a bit high for the smaller amount I bought..... but it's hard to complain about that when area shelves continue to stare back at me empty......or at least they do whenever I happen to venture out to the stores. Who knows, though...maybe I have bad timing and keep getting there a minute too late. lol

Here's Jack:

That’s awesome! Wish I could have a bite! :p

I am realizing just how spoiled I am. I live 4 miles from a nearly completely vegetarian market ( they do sell a little meat VERY little). Flour AND yeast are still available. The 5 LB. bags are not to be found but bulk and 20 pounders are still on the shelves.

I can get locally grown rye flours and wheat flour not to mention germ barley malt and several other flours. Makes sourdough starter fairly routine. If there's a jar on top of the fridge with "something" growing in it DW starts watching it for me. Natural local yeast is like local honey. Much better for the people that live with the yeast and pollens on a daily basis.

That looks amazing!! My sourdough starter was started about 3 years ago and is still going strong. Lately, the bread that I've been making uses both discard starter and a bit of yeast. I will be watching that video with great interest.

Thankfully, I have enough flour for now and I have more than enough yeast in the freezer to last me quite a while.

Baked my second loaf of sourdough today! Here are some pics:

My 3-week old wild sourdough starter (which I have named Wildfire) just before forming the dough for my recipe. The bottom rubber band indicates the level of starter when taken out of the fridge just before feeding (the last time I fed it was on 10th of April, two weeks ago). The middle rubber band indicates the level of the starter just after feeding it the flour/water amounts needed for the amount of starter my recipe calls for, and the topmost was four hours after feeding. It's quite a lively little starter! :
IMG_5429WildfireStarterReady640.JPG

Below: My shaped, slashed and stenciled dough in the Dutch Oven just before popping into the oven. I saw some videos of folks stenciling their breads and thought it looked so pretty, so I made my own impromptu heart stencil out of scrap paper, slightly dampened the parts of the dough I wanted stenciled, placed the stencil over them one by one, dipping an artists paintbrush into some cocoa powder and dabbing the powder on over the stencil, and voila! Two got a tad smudgy, but not too terribly shabby if I do say so myself:

IMG_5430SourdoughTwo640.JPG

And my fished loaf fresh out of the oven:

IMG_5431SourdoughTwoBaked640.JPG

I haven't cut into it yet, but I will add a pic of it sliced when I do so later.

For what it's worth, I baked this loaf in a cold-start oven (i.e., I did not preheat the oven). I actually shaped my loaf yesterday afternoon about 3:00 pm, placed it in a floured banneton, and then set it in the fridge to slowly proof all yesterday afternoon/evening/overnight until this morning at 9:30 when I took it out slashed/stenciled it, put it into my room temp Dutch Oven (covered) and then placed it right inside my cold oven. Turned the oven on to 450 degreesF/232C and baked for 40 minutes with the cover on, then 10 minutes with the cover off. The final internal temp of the bread was 207 degreesF, which is perfect (anywhere from 205F to 210F is good in my book for this type of bread).

I can hardly wait to cut into it!

IrishLass :)

Thanks, Misschief! :)

Here she is cut!:

IMG_5432SourdoughTwoCut640.JPG

I still can hardly believe this was made from naturally wild yeast, without any help from commercial yeast. It's got some lovely air holes going on there thanks to Bake with Jack's tutorial on how to knead and shape sourdough! Hubby, son and I all had a piece and it was yummy.....and thankfully, not very sour, because my hubby hates tangy tasting sourdough, although I myself don't mind tangy. It tastes just like my overnight no-knead dough made with my regular active dry yeast.....very nicely flavorful, but not sour. I'm very happy......and so is hubby. :D

Apart from the rye in the starter, the main flour I used for the remaining bulk of the recipe is a combo that I call my makeshift 20% reduced bran flour. I got the recipe from Dan Leader's book Bread Alone. It's basically 1 part whole wheat flour to 3 parts all-purpose flour, with 1 tbsp wheat germ added per every cup of all-purpose flour in the mix. I normally mix up 5 lbs of it at a time to keep in my fridge at the ready.

I still can hardly believe this was made from naturally wild yeast, without any help from commercial yeast. It's got some lovely air holes going on there thanks to Bake with Jack's tutorial on how to knead and shape sourdough! Hubby, son and I all had a piece and it was yummy.....and thankfully, not very sour, because my hubby hates tangy tasting sourdough, although I myself don't mind tangy. It tastes just like my overnight no-knead dough made with my regular active dry yeast.....very nicely flavorful, but not sour. I'm very happy......and so is hubby. :D

Apart from the rye in the starter, the main flour I used for the remaining bulk of the recipe is a combo that I call my makeshift 20% reduced bran flour. I got the recipe from Dan Leader's book Bread Alone. It's basically 1 part whole wheat flour to 3 parts all-purpose flour, with 1 tbsp wheat germ added per every cup of all-purpose flour in the mix. I normally mix up 5 lbs of it at a time to keep in my fridge at the ready.

Feels so good, doesn't it? Yesterday, I made a Rugbrot (Rye Bread), a recipe shared by someone in the Wild Sourdough group on FB. It doesn't used added yeast either. It turned out really well, too. Tasty, with a nice moist crumb. It's things like this that make baking so rewarding.

Yes, it feels so good! :) Oooooh! Rye bread sound yummy! Thank you for the inspiration! I believe the the next bread I shall bake with Wildfire is rye bread with caraway seeds. 🤪

And here is an experiment I decided to try out ........I was reading online yesterday and saw that some folks prefer to dry their starter and powder it for long term storage. My interest was piqued, and so I decided I would try this out with some of my Lazarus starter for experiment sake.

Basically, you just take some of your recently-fed starter when it's puffing up quite lively, but not 100% peaked yet, spread it thinly on parchment lined baking sheets, and let air dry at room temp. Once completely dry, you either crumple it into pices or powder it and store it in an airtight jar. Some store the jar in the freezer and some store it at room temp. I shall put some in the freezer and some at room temp to compare.

I took aside a 50g portion of Lazarus out of the fridge yesterday and put it in a tall canning jar. I fed it 10g rye flour/10g water in intervals every once in a while throughout the day to get him going. He began to rise up bit by bit, but it was slowwww going compared to how quick Wildfire puffs up when fed just 10g flour/10g water in just one solitary feed, so on a whim I decided to stir 25g of Wildfire into Lazarus, and hoo boy- that got him excited, and he tripled in size pretty quick!

I didn't want to spread him out to dry while he was tripled and too near his peak, so I stirred him down, fed him 10g more rye flour and 10g water, and put him in the fridge overnight, and this morning I saw that he had puffed up only a little bit while in the fridge. Sweet! So I took him out, fed him one more 10g dose of rye and water, and waited until just nearly doubled in size, which took only 1.5 to 2 hours and then spread him out to dry. I'll let you know how it goes!

Lazarus nearly doubled:

IMG_5433LazarusSplitForDrying640.JPG

Lazarus spread out to dry (he filled 2 sheets, but I've only pictured one):

IMG_5435LazarusSpreadForDrying640.JPG

Yes, it feels so good! :) Oooooh! Rye bread sound yummy! Thank you for the inspiration! I believe the the next bread I shall bake with Wildfire is rye bread with caraway seeds. 🤪

And here is an experiment I decided to try out ........I was reading online yesterday and saw that some folks prefer to dry their starter and powder it for long term storage. My interest was piqued, and so I decided I would try this out with some of my Lazarus starter for experiment sake.

Basically, you just take some of your recently-fed starter when it's puffing up quite lively, but not 100% peaked yet, spread it thinly on parchment lined baking sheets, and let air dry at room temp. Once completely dry, you either crumple it into pices or powder it and store it in an airtight jar. Some store the jar in the freezer and some store it at room temp. I shall put some in the freezer and some at room temp to compare.

I took aside a 50g portion of Lazarus out of the fridge yesterday and put it in a tall canning jar. I fed it 10g rye flour/10g water in intervals every once in a while throughout the day to get him going. He began to rise up bit by bit, but it was slowwww going compared to how quick Wildfire puffs up when fed just 10g flour/10g water in just one solitary feed, so on a whim I decided to stir 25g of Wildfire into Lazarus, and hoo boy- that got him excited, and he tripled in size pretty quick!

I didn't want to spread him out to dry while he was tripled and too near his peak, so I stirred him down, fed him 10g more rye flour and 10g water, and put him in the fridge overnight, and this morning I saw that he had puffed up only a little bit while in the fridge. Sweet! So I took him out, fed him one more 10g dose of rye and water, and waited until just nearly doubled in size, which took only 1.5 to 2 hours and then spread him out to dry. I'll let you know how it goes!

I did that when my starter was at its peak. I keep in one of kitchen cabinets, just in case.

can you make sourdough in the bread machine ?
I mean does it turn out good? I don't really like crispy crust anyway so I know I won't get that.

Darn you all, now I am going to have to watch videos on making a starter !

Sourdough needs long fermentation to be actual sourdough. I have never made bread in a bread machine so I don't really know if it has that option. I always kill my mother so I always put some in a ziploc bag and throw it into the freezer to get quick start the next time I want to make bread.

can you make sourdough in the bread machine ?
I mean does it turn out good? I don't really like crispy crust anyway so I know I won't get that.

Darn you all, now I am going to have to watch videos on making a starter !

There are a few folks that do sourdough in their bread machine. It's still a little bit of a lengthy process though, because natural yeast is not as quick-working as commercial yeast and it needs a period of fermentation time for best results as Moodymama pointed out. This guy makes sourdough in his bread machine (without any added commercial yeast at all.....just uses his starter) and gives you step by step instructions on how to do it. It's not a quick process, but the majority of the time is completely hands-off as the dough just sits and ferments. He also gives you instructions for a quicker version using starter and commercial yeast if you want to go that route.

As far as making a starter goes, the below video is the one I followed in order to make my Wildfire starter at the beginning of this month, only I didn't use fresh ground wholegrain rye like she does in the video. I blasphemed by using Arrowhead Mills wholegrain rye that I had stored in my freezer and which was actually stamped with a 'Best if used by" date of August 2016. :eek: lol 😂 Anyway, as you can plainly see, it worked successfully for me nevertheless. Skip to timestamp 12:44 on the video if you want to get right to the instructions of how to actually make the starter:

Lazarus nearly doubled:

View attachment 45431

Lazarus spread out to dry (he filled 2 sheets, but I've only pictured one):

View attachment 45432

Kids...they grow like weeds! 😂😂😂😂😂

Latest posts

Back