Wild Sourdough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if this one is any indication, my experimental starters should be looking good tomorrow. This starter is 8 days old now. It was fed at about 8:00 this morning and at 5:40 p.m., it had dropped by only 1/2". It's a combination of rye and AP flours and it let me know this afternoon that it's name is Cooder, as in Ry Cooder.

Tomorrow is for Peanut Butter Cookies and Wednesday is for Raisin Bread; I think I'll try making bread with this starter at the end of the week.

Attachments

• 20200427_173608.jpg
    20200427_173608.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200427_173602.jpg
    20200427_173602.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 2
I made a batch of Light Sourdough Rye last night. I was going to let it proof in the fridge overnight but it got to a point where I knew it needed baking or it would have overflowed the bannetton. This was made with my discard starter from my second starter (rye and ap flour), Cooder (as in Ry Cooder), which I started on April 21. We haven't cut into it yet but I'm pretty happy with it.

20200429_071503.jpg

I made a batch of Light Sourdough Rye last night. I was going to let it proof in the fridge overnight but it got to a point where I knew it needed baking or it would have overflowed the bannetton. This was made with my discard starter from my second starter (rye and ap flour), Cooder (as in Ry Cooder), which I started on April 21. We haven't cut into it yet but I'm pretty happy with it.

View attachment 45587

You guys are killing me! Lol. I can almost smell it! I so need to learn how to do this but I have not been able to find rye flour in the stores lately. This looks soooo beautiful and yummy!

You guys are killing me! Lol. I can almost smell it! I so need to learn how to do this but I have not been able to find rye flour in the stores lately. This looks soooo beautiful and yummy!

I was recently able to purchase some rye flour from Baker's Authority online to replenish my dwindling stock. It's an online restaurant supply store located in NY that thankfully also sells to home bakers in quantities that are practical for the home baker. It took 17 days to arrive on my doorstep, and shipping was little steep (I live 3,000 miles away on the opposite side of the country), but it was the only place online or in local stores that I was able to find the types of flour in stock that I like to use.....except for one day 2 weeks ago when my local Safeway got in a shipment of Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour and I just happened to be there at the right time to be able to purchase a bag before it was all gone.
I was just looking on their site and they still have the wholegrain rye in stock in small enough packaged quantities to be practical for the home baker. Look for the Ardent Mills Rye Meal Pumpernickel Flour....that's the one that is their wholegrain rye. Since you live in NJ, it'll probably quicker and cheaper than it was for me if you decide to order some.

IrishLass :)

I was recently able to purchase some rye flour from Baker's Authority online to replenish my dwindling stock. It's an online restaurant supply store located in NY that thankfully also sells to home bakers in quantities that are practical for the home baker. It took 17 days to arrive on my doorstep, and shipping was little steep (I live 3,000 miles away on the opposite side of the country), but it was the only place online or in local stores that I was able to find the types of flour in stock that I like to use.....except for one day 2 weeks ago when my local Safeway got in a shipment of Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour and I just happened to be there at the right time to be able to purchase a bag before it was all gone.
I was just looking on their site and they still have the wholegrain rye in stock in small enough packaged quantities to be practical for the home baker. Look for the Ardent Mills Rye Meal Pumpernickel Flour....that's the one that is their wholegrain rye. Since you live in NJ, it'll probably quicker and cheaper than it was for me if you decide to order some.

Thank you! I actually ordered lard a while back from Bakers Authority. 50lb was only $14+ to ship since in close. I hadn’t thought of them for the flour. I’ll check it out! I made a big pot of chili today that would go perfect with that bread. Lol

Attachments

• 03D98305-081D-4597-80AE-C63E4A649A30.jpeg
    03D98305-081D-4597-80AE-C63E4A649A30.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4
I just found this wonderfully creative lady on YouTube who scores her sourdough in such a way that they bake up into beautiful works of art. I'm going to try her scoring method on my next loaf:

Thanks for sharing all of this information. I tried and failed (don't ask me how) Amish bread years ago. Decided to dive in to sourdough as the hubby has asked me repeatedly to either learn to make it or he was going to buy some from the ladies who make the bad GM soap. NOT ON MY WATCH BUDDY! Anyways... I'm going rogue on mine (see below in response to Carolyn)

Years ago I used to make my starter out of potatoes but I would have to start digging through a lot of boxes to find my old recipes.
This was how I started mine on Saturday. Just potato and water. It finally started getting bubbly on Monday, so now I'm using the potato water liquid as the liquid for my flour based starter. I discarded today to do 1:1:1, because the starter was trying to escape from the jar (it's a pint jar and I'm only doing 50g qty). Side note: I used the discard to make a pancake with a bit of green onion, salt and pepper, and made a taco shaped sandwich with it for lunch, it was very tasty. Anyways, I'm not sure how many rules I'm breaking with my potato water method, but at this point it's keeping me busy for 5 minutes a day... and the half hour I spend pinning sour dough bread recipes at night.

Thanks for sharing all of this information. I tried and failed (don't ask me how) Amish bread years ago. Decided to dive in to sourdough as the hubby has asked me repeatedly to either learn to make it or he was going to buy some from the ladies who make the bad GM soap. NOT ON MY WATCH BUDDY! Anyways... I'm going rogue on mine (see below in response to Carolyn)

This was how I started mine on Saturday. Just potato and water. It finally started getting bubbly on Monday, so now I'm using the potato water liquid as the liquid for my flour based starter. I discarded today to do 1:1:1, because the starter was trying to escape from the jar (it's a pint jar and I'm only doing 50g qty). Side note: I used the discard to make a pancake with a bit of green onion, salt and pepper, and made a taco shaped sandwich with it for lunch, it was very tasty. Anyways, I'm not sure how many rules I'm breaking with my potato water method, but at this point it's keeping me busy for 5 minutes a day... and the half hour I spend pinning sour dough bread recipes at night.

As long as it's working, there are no rules!

Ditto! ^^^ There are videos of folks making starters using water and potatoes, water and dates, water and raisins, not to mention Misschief's original starter made with grapes from her yard. Whatever works!

Here are my latest sourdough breads. The first one was made last week with Lazarus, and the second one was made just this morning with Wildfire. I'm finding decorative scoring to be quite fun!:

Before:
IMG_5436Sourdough3Resized640.JPG

After:
IMG_5438Sourdough3Baked640.JPG

Before:
IMG_5441Sourdough4Resized640.JPG

After:
IMG_5444Sourdough4Baked640.JPG

My slashing implement is a scalpel blade, which worked great.

Here are my latest sourdough breads. The first one was made last week with Lazarus, and the second one was made just this morning with Wildfire. I'm finding decorative scoring to be quite fun!:

Before:
View attachment 45923

After:
View attachment 45924

Before:
View attachment 45925

After:
View attachment 45926

My slashing implement is a scalpel blade, which worked great.

So pretty! You have all inspired me. I ordered some rye flour from Bakers Authority and I’m gonna give this a try!

Last nite I put the sourdough starter in the fridge. I forgot to add to it a day here or there. It's been about 11 days (?).
Definitely sour. Now to get a recipe to make a loaf this week.

My first loaf last week failed. I blame the operator for being impatient and not letting it proof long enough. You'd think that soapmaking would have taught me better right? Well, my starter should be ready to use again tomorrow so I will try again. I did try making (mostly) flourless brownies with the discard starter following a recipe on Pinterest. It was the most disgusting thing I think I've ever added chocolate to. It was like a chocolate omelette.... gag. I don't know if adding flour would help the recipe or not. I'm trying to find things to do with the discard other than make a pancake or crackers.

My first loaf last week failed. I blame the operator for being impatient and not letting it proof long enough. You'd think that soapmaking would have taught me better right? Well, my starter should be ready to use again tomorrow so I will try again. I did try making (mostly) flourless brownies with the discard starter following a recipe on Pinterest. It was the most disgusting thing I think I've ever added chocolate to. It was like a chocolate omelette.... gag. I don't know if adding flour would help the recipe or not. I'm trying to find things to do with the discard other than make a pancake or crackers.

Yuck! That sounds like a heinous crime committed against chocolate! lol :eek: 😂

Re: discard: If you're tired of having to come up with recipes in which to use discard, I just wanted to give a shout out to the Bake with Jack's 'no waste/no discard' scrapings method that I posted a video of in the first post of this thread. I've been using it for a little over month now, and so far, Wildfire and Lazarus are doing quite well with it. It's very nice not to have to find things to do with discard....or worse- have to throw portions of perfectly good starter away.......which is what I always eventually ended up doing because it was such a pain in the tukhus for me to try to find recipes that my household would actually find pleasant enough to eat in order to use it up. lol

Basically, I keep a mere 2 tbsp. of each of my starters (about 50g each or so) in their own separate jars (tall/skinny 24oz canning jars) and store them in the fridge until the night before I want to use one of them to make bread. My recipe calls for 106g of starter, so when I take a starter out of the fridge the night before using, I vigorously stir in 53g water and 53g of rye flour, cover the jar loosely and leave it to sit on my counter for the whole thing to feed overnight, and when it's ready to go the next morning I remove 106g worth, and then cover the jar/remaining 2 tbsp starter and pop it back in the fridge for next time. I've been baking 1 loaf of sourdough a week, alternating Lazarus and Wildfire.....so, basically, each of them go 2 weeks before being fed/used. So far, so good!

I just wanted to give a shout out to the Bake with Jack's 'no waste/no discard' scrapings method that I posted a video of in the first post of this thread.
Thank you for mentioning the video! I had forgotten that I had added it to my watch later list. Just watched it and I'm going to try it this week. If it works (patience Sherry let the dang dough rise) I could theoretically just save all the starter I already have right and gradually use it up... Maybe... Hmmm. Further experimenting coming up. (And by experimenting I just mean trying something I've never done haha)

I have deli rye proofing right now. I used 100% hydration rye starter at 25% in place of the yeast, and rye and wheat flour ordered from this fabulous mill I found in Texas. Barton Springs Mill | Texas Heirloom & Modern Grains, Corn, & More. This mill has some wonderful flour and I have already placed a couple of orders since the pandemic began.

My regular starter is in a crock in the fridge but hubby isn't a huge fan of sourdough so I only make it occasionally and only feed the beast about once a week.

Last edited:
Made my first wild sourdough starter 5 days ago and then made my first sourdough bread with it today:

Before popping it into the oven:

View attachment 44998

Fresh out of the oven:

View attachment 44999

I haven't cut into it yet because it's still hot. I can only hope it looks okay inside, because I didn't use a very strong flour to make it. I used my favorite homemade blend of 3 parts All purpose flour mixed with 1 part whole wheat flour, some wheat germ, and a bit of vital wheat gluten to make my version of a healthier high protein bread flour......but wouldn't you know it, I forgot to add the vital wheat gluten to the mix. Grrrrrr!!! So....the grain might be more dense than airy. Oh well..it should at least have good flavor.

I've made sourdough bread before lots of times, but it was from a 'cheater' starter.....by 'cheater', I mean I injected a tiny bit of active dry yeast into the flour to get the starter going, but this time, I wanted to try and see if I could get a starter going by letting nature take its course without my help.....

Over four days, I mixed up tablespoon increments of Arrowhead Mills organic wholemeal rye flour and water in a jar which I covered with cheesecloth, and lo and behold- it's alive!!! By Day 4, my jar was so alive with naturally occurring yeast that it was 1/4 of an inch from flowing out the top of the jar if I didn't do something about it (the starter had tripled its size), so I made a 'sponge' using most of it, let the sponge sit over night and then proceeded to make bread dough out of it. The remaining small bit of starter I put into the fridge.

I followed YouTuber Mary Nest's Foolproof Sourdough Starter recipe to make the starter, and then after that, I ran into Youtuber Bake With Jack's video on his stretch & fold/long ferment technique for sourdough, and decided to use his method for making my actual dough.

I've also decided to adopt no waste/no-discard method of taking care of sourdough starter that Bake With Jack talks about in the video I've posted below, which I think is absolutely brilliant (where has that method been hiding all my life?)......especially during these recent times when access to flour has been pretty much a no-go in my area........

My neighborhood grocery stores have been out of flour and yeast for weeks now, and my usual online sources (King Arthur Flour, Pleasant Grain Mills, Breadtopia) are totally wiped out of their stock and there's a long waiting list for it. It's crazy! Thankfully, I was able to order some flour online to reinforce my dwindling supply for a good price from a restaurant supply store I found that also sells to home bakers, although the shipping was a bit high for the smaller amount I bought..... but it's hard to complain about that when area shelves continue to stare back at me empty......or at least they do whenever I happen to venture out to the stores. Who knows, though...maybe I have bad timing and keep getting there a minute too late. lol

Here's Jack:

@IrishLass, is this the video you used to make the bread?
Is this in your opinion easier than Mary’s Nest technique? My starter is ready and I’m trying to decide which way to go so I don’t end up needing to be up at 3 am making bread. Lol

That looks amazing!! My sourdough starter was started about 3 years ago and is still going strong. Lately, the bread that I've been making uses both discard starter and a bit of yeast. I will be watching that video with great interest.

Thankfully, I have enough flour for now and I have more than enough yeast in the freezer to last me quite a while.
I have a starter that I keep in my fridge - take it out a couple of days before I plan to bake so I can feed and revitalise it. I don't like waiting so use a small amount of yeast in my recipes as well as the starter.

Is this in your opinion easier than Mary’s Nest technique? My starter is ready and I’m trying to decide which way to go so I don’t end up needing to be up at 3 am making bread. Lol

Hi Jersey Girl........yes, Jack's video that you posted is the technique I've been using to make my bread, and it's been working out really well for me:

1) Two nights before baking the bread I take my starter scrapings jar out of the fridge and fill it with equal amounts of water and rye flour up to the weight amount of starter that my recipe calls for (I do this right before I go to bed).

2) Sometime the next day when it looks like the starter has good activity like you see in the video, or better, I weigh out the starter I need, put the (covered) scrapings jar back in the fridge for next time, then I start making my bread dough and go through the stretch & folds like Jack does in the video.

3) After the final shaping, I plop the shaped dough into a proofing basket and stick it in the fridge overnight, and then I bake whenever I feel like it the next day.

I find that the coldness/firmness of the dough from the slow proof in the fridge really helps when it comes to carving designs in the dough with the razor, as compared to trying to carve into room-temp dough. I have much better success if the dough is cold.

I was reading under the comments of Jack's video and he says that if you don't want to do the slow overnight proof in the fridge, you can do what he does for his sourdough classes where an overnight rise is impossible.....After putting the shaped dough in the proofing basket, let it rest at room temp for 45 minutes, then rest again in the fridge for 45 to 60 minutes, then bake it right from the fridge. He says they come out lovely this way, but an overnight rise in the fridge is well worth it.

I have been inspired by your amazing looking breads 😍

My wild sourdough starter has failed to start
The bleached flour might have been a problem

I have not found any rye
Wish me luck with the unbleached flour I was able to buy 😄

Back