Why you need to take good notes-and a new product

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorymae

Reaction score
A few months back I formulated what I had hoped to be a good quality cold cream. Long story short - it was a utter dismal failure. What I got was a little under a quart of a very runny, very oily white emulation. However I took exacting notes. Even what I did to try to fix it. In the end I added my preservative and put it in a canning jar labeled "failed cold cream".

The other day I started thinking how dry my skin is getting out here in Arizona. I thought about that liquid, but I hate feeling oily. So I thought I'd experiment (dangerous and strange things can always happen when I get thinking!;) ) I decided to mix 1/2 and 1/2 a small amount of that failure with some cream soap. ( I love to shower with cream soap!). It whipped up high like whipped cream. Then I showered with it. After I dried off I was amazed. It felt like I had put on lotion. Soft but not at all oily, and thanks to the cream soap it created loads of fluffy dense lather.

Next I reproduced my failure - thanks to my notes I got the same runny oily liquid. I am now in preliminary testing of my new product, lotion soap. After I use it for a month I will have my testers begin trying it out. I have high hopes for it, so far it performs beautifully.

So always take good notes, always, even when you think what you have is a dud. You never know when you might need those notes again, and the effort is minimal.

Nice fail--->fabulous experiment! It just goes to show how different products work well (or don't) in different parts of the country at different times of the year. If you were still in Connecticut you may yet have that jar of "failed cold cream" sitting on a shelf. But because of your detailed notes, you'll be able to re-create it without a hitch. You're set for the low humidity and high heat of southern AZ! (not to mention the swimming pool chlorine...) :lol:

Nice fail--->fabulous experiment! It just goes to show how different products work well (or don't) in different parts of the country at different times of the year. If you were still in Connecticut you may yet have that jar of "failed cold cream" sitting on a shelf. But because of your detailed notes, you'll be able to re-create it without a hitch. You're set for the low humidity and high heat of southern AZ! (not to mention the swimming pool chlorine...) :lol:

I'm in the pool every day I can!!! I really love it here even in the triple digits!

On another note - would you mind trying out this concoction in about a month or so? I'd really like the opinion of another soaper and Arizonan. You understand more than most what is possible and could give a better critic than the average person. Besides your just up the road. . . . Abeit a long road.

I'd love to give your concoction a whirl! I'll also have my hubby use it as he works outside everyday so pays special attention to his skin and the products he uses. He's trying to avoid alligator hide, lol. Cream soap isn't something I've tried yet and I bet he would LOVE it! PM me when you're ready and we can work out the details. :p

I'm in the pool every day I can!!! I really love it here even in the triple digits!

On another note - would you mind trying out this concoction in about a month or so? I'd really like the opinion of another soaper and Arizonan. You understand more than most what is possible and could give a better critic than the average person. Besides your just up the road. . . . Abeit a long road.

If you ever want the opinion of a Sjogren's sufferer, I'm game to try it. (Or you can try the Sjogren's forum to see if there are any members in your area. Gosh, it's bad enough having SS, having it in AZ would be the absolute worst. I was in Phoenix for a few days in June a couple of years ago and felt like a dead sponge. Never again. :oops:)

Latest posts

Back