Why wouldn't my soap melt?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwallday

Reaction score
I bought a soap base from Amazon and tonight proceeded to try and melt it so I could add some essential oils. I did it in a glass bowl over the top of some simmering water in a pan but although the outside would turn to liquid the centre kept going hard again. I had grated the base too and it took ages! I ended up microwaving it and it went to a melted marshmallow consistency which I quickly threw everything into and then put into the mould but I'm not happy with the results. What did I do wrong?

I found with my pyrex bowls, it takes forever over a double boiler. I either use my stainless mixing bowl, or I use the pyrex in the microwave and it works fine.

I had a soap like that once. It was labeled "glycerine soap" from the health food store,but it was clear like melt and pour so I figured it would melt like M&P .. I grated it just like you said but it just wouldn't melt at all. Then I tried to microwave it and it foamed up and marshmallowed just like you said and it became opaque. It practically solidified as soon as it was out of the microwave. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong because M&P is really simple to melt. I would complain to whomever you ordered it from if it was truly labeled melt and pour.

She says I need to make it hotter! But if the waters already boiling underneath how do I make it hotter!

The glass seems to dissipate the heat really quickly. Do you have something else to melt it in?

It's strange that it went funny in the microwave though. I was so excited when I tried it and it worked. lol Sooo much faster. :)

Looks like a good base as glycerin is listed as the second ingredient.

If you plan on making a lot of soap, I'd suggest using a stainless steel double boiler. It's really an effective way to melt M&P.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1386094204.739699.jpg

Thanks for your help everyone!! I eventually used a baking tin inside a water bath in another pot and it melted perfectly! I think the glass was just too thick. I melted some of my original ones down and remade my lavender soap! Quite chuffed with them :D

RedwallDay, I do a lot of M&P soaps. The base does look like the one it saw on the link. I generally melt it in a plastic container in the microwave and melt it 30 seconds each time and mix it we'll at intervals. Once it starts to melt, and most of it is melted I microwave it for 10 seconds each time. If it gets too hot, the clear soap starts to boil and will no longer remain that clear.

The lavender soap looks great and worth all the hassle!!!!!!

IImageUploadedBySoap Making1386174931.972978.jpg had heated this too much and look how the clear turned kind of opaque. It was a rose fragrance as well.

Good luck!

I'm using the white melt and pour, not seen the clear but that look like fun!! Here are my finished soaps, lemon, lavender and rose :)ImageUploadedBySoap Making1386266797.137896.jpg

Looks great !!!! I love the lavender. I actually made my husband a lavender soap and candle as a part of our wedding anniversary gift!ImageUploadedBySoap Making1386268491.050549.jpg

Gorgeous! I love the colour! What did you use? I've not wandered into the candle making side yet. I fear it may be a slippery slope! Lol Are they easy to make?

For the soap, it is white glycerin melt and pour base and some blue mixed with red to get that color.

Candles are not that difficult if you are used to double boiler. I like soaping more than candle making but just to add to a basket , soap and candle look better ( it may just be my point of view) you can buy a slab of paraffin wax and melt it in double boiler. I buy the wicks from a craft store, glue it to the container that j want the candle in. After the wax has melted, add the color and FO and pour it in the container and allow to cool! Your candle is ready :). Let me know if I can help in any way or if u have any other questions

Back