Why We Need to Wear Protective Gear!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandolyn

Reaction score
I'm posting this for all of you who don't wear all your protective gear! Think about the results of this if the soaper had been in her kitchen!!

"Today, I mixed about five gallons of 33% lye solution in a bucket. I was inthe soap/laundry room which has a very deep sink. When I went to lift it out of the sink after it had cooled, my foot slipped and the whole container splashed onto the floor, and the bottoms of my feet. The lid was on the container, but apparently not tightly. A few drops also splashed on my face and onto my safety goggles. The rest hit the floor.

I opened the outside laundry room door, and ran to the nearest garden hose. I flushed my face with the hose on full blast, then sprayed my
feet. Fortunately, the skin on the bottom of my feet is pretty thick.
I escaped lye burns. I chased the dogs out of the yard and into the
house where they couldn't get into the laundry room. Then I found all of
the old towels and sheets that I could to mop up the mess, still
wearing gloves, mask, and goggles. I shoved the lye loaded items into the
washer with a quart of white vinegar for a whole cyccle, then
washed the load again with detergent. Meanwhile, I mopped the still
damp floor with a strong vinegar solution. After that was done, I
tested the tile with phenolpthalein to make sure the lye was gone. No
pink reaction, so it's good to go.

I am so grateful that I didn't skip the goggles and gloves, "just this
once". I am glad that the laundry room inside door was securely
closed, so none of the bubbas could go investigate. I am relieved that
I had a clear shot to running water, without tracking lye solution
through the house. I think of what could have gone wrong, and didn't.
I didn't hurt myself or anyone or anything else.

Please, everyone...don' t ever think that your safety equipment is optional.

Please feel free to pass this along to anyone you like.

Diane (last name withheld because I don't know if that was to be shared)"

Wow, so scary! I'm so thankful you were wearing your gear too. That could have been so awful. I do wear my gear but haven't been wearing shoes and I think I should start. I actually splattered a little lye water yesterday and thankfully it narrowly missed my bare feet.

holly99 said:
Wow, so scary! I'm so thankful you were wearing your gear too. That could have been so awful. I do wear my gear but haven't been wearing shoes and I think I should start. I actually splattered a little lye water yesterday and thankfully it narrowly missed my bare feet.

It wasn't me, but a soaper named Diane. That incident is why I want a dedicated soapmaking room.

Amen !! Safety equipment should always be worn . Goggles -Gloves- Closed Toe Shoes .

Kitn

Thanks for posting that.

Can't imagine skipping the goggles, gloves and shoes. Accidents happen all the time. Best to be protected.

I love having a dedicated soaping room, floor drain, outdoor access, and lots and lots of running water.

mandolyn said:
holly99 said:

It wasn't me, but a soaper named Diane. That incident is why I want a dedicated soapmaking room.

Oh gotcha. :)

I read that yesterday over at another forum I belong to, and my blood ran cold. :shock:

MikeInPdx said:
I read that yesterday over at another forum I belong to, and my blood ran cold. :shock:

I don't wear goggles........glasses so I can read my recipe tho...but I guess something could still get past that.

Funny how just in an instant someones life could be changed forever !

I was soaping yesterday and it got pretty warm here. I was really tempted to keep my short sleeve shirt on because my rubber gloves are pretty long.

But Jiminy Cricket was on my shoulder whispering, "You know better than that" so off I trudged to put on my soaping sweatshirt. Happily, other than my color not turning out as expected I had an uneventful experience!

Jude :)

Never mix more than you need....

Unless you are an industrial soap maker with factory premises never mix lye that you will not immediately use... the dangers associated with storing lye solution like that in a residential home is not worth it... I read about one soaper who spilled the lye solution over her child... accidents happen and never ever ever take chances with lye! Also consider that others might have access to this mystery solution while you are not present... if a child I can't even imagine the horrors... I know it is a pain to always measure and mix but please always be safe first...
I generally use an even stronger lye solution when soaping and I treat it as if it was radioactive... I am so glad that your accident did not have serious consequence as it so easily could have had.
happy and safe soaping!

dilution

water will dilute the lye solution... you would not have spilled lye crystals on you and if you had adding water would not be a good thing... well don't add water with a bunch of lye stuck to your skin.... flick it of and then wash and neutralize... already made lye solution will only be diluted by running water and therefore cause less skin damage... heat is given of when the lye crystals dissolve in water... but once in solution it would be happily eating into your skin and therefore rapid dilution under running water is good.... dilution of a ready made lye solution will not give off heat... correct me if i'm wrong.... I think as soapers working with these types of chemicals we should really be more knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedure... this from the safety sheet for lye:

Appearance: white. Danger! Corrosive. Causes eye and skin burns. Hygroscopic. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation with possible
burns. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with possible burns.
Target Organs: Eyes, skin, mucous membranes.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Skin: Causes skin burns. May cause deep, penetrating ulcers of the skin. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with
cyanosis or pale color.

Ingestion: May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the
digestive tract. Causes severe pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and shock. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the
esophagus and digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Inhalation: Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with
coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
Chronic: Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Effects may be delayed.

This the first aid measures:

Eyes: In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical aid immediately.
Skin: In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Wash clothing before reuse.

Ingestion: If swallowed, do NOT induce vomiting. Get medical aid immediately. If victim is fully conscious, give a cupful of water. Never give
anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
Inhalation: If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Notes to Physician: Treat symptomatically and supportively.

I printed off the MSDS for sodium hydroxide and have it in a clear plastic sleeve (the ones you'd use in a 3 ring binder) that's taped to the inside of a cabinet door in my work area. The entire MSDS is in there, but the page that's immediately visible is the one that gives the first aid measures. I've read it thoroughly and know what I am supposed to do and not do, but I'd still rather have that information there just in case, y'know?

ETA: You can find the MSDS in a lot of places, some are more plain or colorful or whatnot but the basic information is the same. This is the oneI printed off, and page 2 has the first aid info.

improper safety procedures

I have seen so much misinformation and uninformed ideas of what one should do in case of lye exposure posted on-line... Thank you for your cool link i think we all should display that prominently in our work areas...
The really dangerous thing is that as most hobbyist soapers are soaping in a home environment, others who are not aware of the dangers posed by lye could easily have accidental access to either lye crystals or lye solution. Again never leave a lye stock solution in a home environment...

Whats does mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells mean in the link? Does that mean we could at some stage mutate into the hulk or something? Scary...

Ok its been a long time since I have had a science class, butt, Basically you body is primarily made from stomatic cells. When something is mutagentic is means that it somehow disrupts the DNA and now when your cells replicate your DNA tells them to do something different. Usually when this happens it causes cancer, not always though. Sometimes mutagens have a huge effect and its noticable, sometimes its not. HTH

Latest posts

Back