Why the Eff do able bodied people park in handicapped spots?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got yelled at on a bus for having a disabled persons bus pass. I don't look disabled but my epilepsy entitles me to have one. It was very upsetting. I agree that confronting someone who doesn't have a sticker is ok, but sometimes people may not look typically disabled, but may still have a genuine need for the parking space.

Yeah, my defenses go up when I see posts like these, because my mom had one of those invisible reasons for a pass. Heck, getting out of the car to go in the store she could be pretty nimble, but she had nerve damage to her hands and feet (thanks, chemo!) that meant that the longer she walked, the harder it got.

I do agree, those who park in the handicap without a valid medical reason (easily seen or not) are a-holes that need to have police crack down on them.

This is one of my pet peeves, too. But I don't say anything to anyone about it, nor do I report their vehicles. Why? Because I am "handicapped" myself. I have a disability, but don't "look" disabled. I have a tote bag that I love. It says, "This disease is doing wonders for my appearance. Everyone keeps telling me how good I look." I have good days and I have bad days. But everyday is a pain-filled day. The degree of pain and my tolerance level are what changes. I don't have a placard or handicapped car tag. I will avoid getting one as long as I can. Most of the time, I intentionally park far from the doors so I can limber my joints and stretch my muscles. However, there have been times when I've been in so much pain that I've used a handicapped spot. However, I only use them if there are a lot of empty handicapped spots and I'm only getting a couple of things. Is it right? No. But there are some days that I just don't give a rat's rump about anyone in the world but me. Yep. That's a pretty crappy and selfish attitude. However, I think I am entitled to it a few times a year. Usually, I'm everyone's champion, fighting the good fight for those that can't.

Latest posts

Back