Why Syrian Soap is Great?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
I was gifted with some recently; I love the smell and the lather. I would like to know what else makes this soap great. I would like to hear from you guys out of curiosity. Sorry if this sounds a stupid question, I am asking to learn. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it was the first soap ever made. Originally it was a pure soap just with olive oil, laurel oil and lye. No fragrance or additives. It is apparently still classified as a Castile soap. It is low allergenic and very mild on the skin when cured for a long time.

Good for eczema sufferers etc.

Wiki says:
Laurel oil is an effective cleanser, antibiotic, anti-fungal and anti-itching agent. Compounds extracted from Laurus Nobilis have recently been identified as an inhibitor of human melanoma (skin cancer) cell proliferation, as well as inhibiting other human tumor cell growths such as amelanotic melanoma, renal cell adenocarcinoma, and breast cancer cell lines.

Olive oil has been known for generations not only for its healing qualities but also as a natural, deep penetration moisturizer, regenerating skin cells and softening the tissue.

Unlike most soaps, Aleppo soap will float in water!

I'm confused by your question. Olive oil does indeed saponify (aka turn into soap). It does have some "unsaponifiables" - meaning components that do not saponify.

"Later on when I read about Aleppo soap I was wondering if that means that we can get all the benefit that is in the olive oil by using the soap? "

We can get some benefits from the unsaponifiables. However, soap is not a leave-on product. So there are probably benefits you might get from using straight olive oil as a moisturizing that you would not get from olive oil soap. We soapers like olive oil b/c it has a long shelf life (meaning it won't turn rancid as fast as some oils), good lather, and it's gentle. (though some people actually find it to be irritating in soap). Another bonus is that it makes a hard bar of soap, given a long cure. (A bar that is physically hard, but not a bar that is long lasting like palm oil, lard or tallow).

Sorry about the confusion Dixie, typing and writing are my hardest tasks because of the dyslexia, especially when I type fast I make many mistakes. What I meant is the unsaponified amount of the olive oil in Aleppo soap, does it contribute to healing eczemas, acne, bacterial dermatitis or any other skin problem, as said about it?

Back