Why oh why did it turn pink?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reallyrita

Reaction score
I'm a little frustrated at this point!! I soaped my first sucessful swirl yesterday morning. At least, I thought I did. It was a simple OO,CO,lard recipe that I have made 2 dozen times at least. The lard was from a new bucket but it smelled nice and fresh and was a good white color. I used a blue green oxide for the swirled bit of soap, And, I used a WSP FO called Aqua Spa that is no longer on their site. I had used this scent once before in M&P with a blue swirl and it has lasted 10 months...really holds up well. I used about 1.5 ounces of FO in a 2lb batch. I put the soap in my kelsie slab and made the swirl. The soap was a little thick but it seemed to work. I checked under the cover before going to bed last night and the soap looked great...creamy white with a nice green swirl. I covered it back up (why or why did I do that??) and left it until this morning. I uncovered and was horrified!! My soap was pink! the green swirls on top still look exactly the same. I unmolded (or to be more accurate, got my DH to pull the dividers out. I do not have the strength and it is difficult!!). Much to my surprise, the soap is still creamy white except for the tops which are pink to a depth of about 1/8-1/4 inch. I WILL post pics over in the Photo Gallery as soon as I have them. DH takes the photos for me and he is off for the day now. The soap is on the cure rack. I am waiting to see what else happens to it! I guess this was the FO but why did it look Creamy last night and now pink? And why did only the tops and a bit of the sides near the dividers turn color? Do you think this is unsafe soap as well as being ugly??? I so wanted to have a nice swirl under my belt and then this happened? Maybe a good cry would help!

My guess would be the fragrance oil you used. I've had one turn CP soap purple before. It's the same effect as using vanilla scents, where the soap will often turn brown.

Fragrances can often have a chemical reaction to the lye or the heat of the soap making process. Many essential oils will change the color of soap also, patchouli and oakmoss for example.

Hope it's a fairly nice pink! :D

I think it was the fragrance oil. I think they can be somewhat tricky to work with. Maybe working with essential oils would be better? I'm not really sure. Good luck!

I think you are both dead-on....the fragrance oil did it for sure....it has been a couple of hours out in the air on the cure rack and the rest of it is turning pink too....not as dark as the tops but maybe it will get there. The pink is not a lurid pink, but it is just a no-go as far as a soap is concerned. I will get some pics taken later today or tomorrow and post in photo gallery. I am beginning to hate the smell of the soap too. Maybe this is just one batch that goes in the trash!!! Sigh!

Bingo, Cathy!!

I have never done a rebatch. I have been waiting for just that special soap batch to call out to me. I think this is it. The smell is truly bothering me now. Smells like Tide on speed. Arrgg...I will get some pics up to show my swirl attempt and then haul out the crock pot I bought at a garage sale for just such an occasion!!
thanks

Back