why my lip balm so dry ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umeali

Reaction score
hello all respected members here plz guide me why my lip balm is very dry ,should i add petroleum jelly to my recipe ?
plz suggest and Thanks in advance ,
bees wax 33%
butter 33% cocoa
oils 33% argon
fragrance 1%

You have too many hard oils.
I like this recipe:

• Here are some good guidelines:

Dixie is right -- you have too much wax and/or hard fats in your blend. You don't need to add petroleum jelly to the blend unless you want to. Most of us make our own lip balm to get away from petroleum-based ingredients, so you probably won't see many of us advocating for that ingredient. :cool:

The 1:1:1 ratio is used a lot in online tutorials, but honestly it's just a starting point. It's not the One and Only True Recipe for Lipbalm. The ratio that will work best for you depends on your climate, personal preference, and the infinite combinations of waxes and fats that you might choose. I don't think it's possible to make one recipe that will be great for everyone.

For example, my lip balm is beeswax and liquid fats only -- no butters. It works very nicely here in Iowa.

edit -- Had a moment during lunch to look up my recipe. It's 32% beeswax and 68% liquid oils, of which half is jojoba and half high oleic sunflower. I add scent at 1.3% of the base recipe. This mixture seems like it would be very soft, but it works surprisingly well. It passes the "jeans pocket test" in that it won't melt in your pocket, but it still glides on the lips nicely. Not saying you need to do what I do; I'm just wanting to show that it is very easy to tweak a lip balm recipe to suit your needs.

Last edited:
For the batch you have now, you can melt it back down and add more liquid oils (I also really love virgin coconut oil in lip balm), and dip a spoon in it. Let the spoon cool to room temp and see if you like that texture. I would add half of the amount of liquid oils that you used before. So if you used 100 g of liquid oils, add 50 g.

Latest posts

Back