Why isnt my soap hardening? Or am i being impatient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabs12

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you're having a wonderful day. I'm fairly new to soap making.
I made this recipe
18 oz pure olive oil
14 oz coconut oil
3 oz shea butter
2 oz mango butter
1 oz coffee butter
12 oz water
5.3 oz lye.
7% superfat
Theres coffee grains in it

However it's been 5 days since I made it and it is still soft and sticky like taffy. Its holding it shape when taken out of mold. Did I superfat too much. Does it need more time to cure? Olive oil content too high? Someone help please so I can know if to rebatch or wait it out
Thank you!

Your recipe looks okay. Thanks for sharing that info -- well done!

It's my guess that the soap probably didn't get hot enough to go into gel. At least that's what happens when my soap is overly soft after saponification is over. I wouldn't rebatch -- just be patient. It will eventually firm up in a few weeks.

Was the soap batter comfortably warm to the touch? Did you do anything in particular to keep the soap warm while it was in the mold?

There are esthetic aspects of this soap that I would probably change (the main one -- I'd reduce the coconut oil percentage to make it less drying to the skin), but your recipe looks reasonable and should make soap that is firm.

As a newer soap maker, you might want to make smaller batches -- 16 oz or 500 grams. If the soap doesn't work out or you don't like it, you don't have a lot of soap to deal with.

It's my guess that the soap probably didn't get hot enough to go into gel. At least that's what happens when my soap is overly soft after saponification is over. I wouldn't rebatch -- just be patient. It will eventually firm up in a few weeks.

Was the soap batter comfortably warm to the touch? Did you do anything in particular to keep the soap warm while it was in the mold?

There are esthetic aspects of this soap that I would probably change (the main one -- I'd reduce the coconut oil percentage to make it less drying to the skin), but your recipe looks reasonable and should make soap that is firm.

As a newer soap maker, you might want to make smaller batches -- 16 oz or 500 grams. If the soap doesn't work out or you don't like it, you don't have a lot of soap to deal with.

Thanks for the response. Will reduce coconut oil.

Latest posts

Back