Why is top layer soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudzNDudz

Reaction score
Hello all! So, I'm not sure what is going on with the top and middle layers. This was suppose to be swirled in my mold, but started to seize. The top layer, seemed to rice, so I stick blended continuously until it became smooth. Consistency reminded me of hot process. The problem is that I've had it in the mold for a week and the top layer is still soft. The bottom green layer is perfect and how my soap usually looks. Not sure, if this will be safe to use after cure. Don't like the lime green tops either, so a few I cut. Any thoughts? My only guess is my batter to fragrance ratio was not accurate??? 20220530_214636.jpg

If you used mica for colorant and dispersed in oil, you may have added too much oil in the top two layers. That would be my first guess since the majority of the soap seems to be normal.

Too much oil, like Dibbles said. Or possibly too much water or too much fragrance in the top two layers. Too much of any liquid will make the soap overly soft. When small portions with too much of whatever liquid are swirled into the larger main portion, this problem is often disguised or minimized. When the small portion is poured as a solid layer as in this case, the problem becomes obvious.

Correction: 33%
My recipe actually was @ 30%. Not 33.

If you used mica for colorant and dispersed in oil, you may have added too much oil in the top two layers. That would be my first guess since the majority of the soap seems to be normal.
Didn't think of that. It was 1 tsp mica to 1 tbsp of my batched oils. Should I use 1 teaspoon of oil instead?

Too much oil, like Dibbles said. Or possibly too much water or too much fragrance in the top two layers. Too much of any liquid will make the soap overly soft. When small portions with too much of whatever liquid are swirled into the larger main portion, this problem is often disguised or minimized. When the small portion is poured as a solid layer as in this case, the problem becomes obvious.
I'm thinking either too much fragrance or oil. When I poured in the fragrance on the last 2 layers, I immediately thought it was too much. This is my first batch where I didnt measure the fragrance oil. It called for 4 oz total (the amt. on the fragrance bottle), so I just eyeballed as I poured it in.

Didn't think of that. It was 1 tsp mica to 1 tbsp of my batched oils. Should I use 1 teaspoon of oil instead?
I think that much oil added to the small layers could have caused a problem. When I mix micas, I use only enough oil to get the micas mixed smooth, and I don't mix 1 tsp of micas every time. I just kind of eyeball the amount of mica I think I will need which, depending on the color, might be as little as 1/4 tsp for that small of a layer and then add (usually HO sunflower) oil to mix. I don't use batch oils, but my SF is 2-3%. I also add a little of the dispersed mica at a time until I get the color I want.

I think that much oil added to the small layers could have caused a problem. When I mix micas, I use only enough oil to get the micas mixed smooth, and I don't mix 1 tsp of micas every time. I just kind of eyeball the amount of mica I think I will need which, depending on the color, might be as little as 1/4 tsp for that small of a layer and then add (usually HO sunflower) oil to mix. I don't use batch oils, but my SF is 2-3%. I also add a little of the dispersed mica at a time until I get the color I want.
I think I will use less of both. Definitely, add just enough oil to blend in mica. Do you think the soap will be safe to use after cure?

I would do a zap test to be sure, but unless you added too much fragrance oil I think it should be fine. If the problem was caused by adding too much oil to the top two layers, you essentially have a very high superfat. Rancidity due to unsaponified fats could be an issue and something else to watch for.

I would do a zap test to be sure, but unless you added too much fragrance oil I think it should be fine. If the problem was caused by adding too much oil to the top two layers, you essentially have a very high superfat. Rancidity due to unsaponified fats could be an issue and something else to watch for.
Thanks! I will probably just cut the 2 layers off since it is still soft.

Back