Why is this so fascinating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Wancho, you've caught the soaping bug! I've been soaping for several years now and I'm still fascinated by it. There's always something new to learn and experiment with. I'm fascinated by the chemistry of it all, confused a lot of times, but still intrigued.

I like to think of it as being a soap practitioner. It's said we practice medicine, have a law practice, practice a sport or a religion, because we'll never achieve perfection. The art of soap making is ever changing so I like practicing as often as possible. Welcome to the club!

Welcome to the addiction, Wancho!

I think it is so fascinating because it is both a science and an art. I don't know of any artists that say, "I have painted enough for a whole year.", do you?

Wancho needs to find some friends that need hand made soap!
I know I have.
A lot of them are astounded at how properly made and cured soap lathers and lasts.

Welcome to the forum and the discovery that this is more than just tossing together some ingredients!
Perhaps a nice swirl soap next?

I agree, it's strangely addicting. I feel like a mad scientist when I'm making soap! I agree with Susie, it's such a lovely mixture of science and art.

And not to mention... the POSSIBILITIES! Infinite combinations of oils, scents, colours, designs, additives... no two soaps will ever look exactly the same. It's kind of like baking, except you get to enjoy the results for months and months.

I never get tired of watching the oils and lye combine into soap batter. I never get tired of cutting a loaf. I have a 'to try' list that just keeps getting longer, no matter how many I cross off. And I love that I always have soap to share with others, and they appreciate receiving it.

I think it satisfies the creative side, plus each time you try something new (a pattern a recipe or a project) its a whole new challenge all over again and the set backs add to the experience as well as the artistry.

For me, its a real mixture of maths, art, science as well as strategy, planning and marketing. Its hard to find another hobby that combines so many different elements and that changes constantly.

Only downside is the amount of soap I have all over the house, the workshop, everywhere. Knowing what to do with failures without throwing them out is one of my bug bears!

Back