Quantcast

Why is necroposting bad?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts about old posts are that they offer valid information that many posters have taken the time to type out, why re-invent the wheel? If there would be a post that has old information/practices that are no longer used and could be dangerous, then maybe we have to think differently about a post like that. Otherwise, all of the information, suggestions and questions answered in an old post are a bonus, I would rather go to a forum and find one or two posts about a topic I am looking for, rather than twenty because the rules stated that a new post had to be started every time. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the OP may not be around anymore, YES, AND they may have had THE best advice, so why wouldn't I want to learn from them in an old post. THE people who answered in the original post with awesome advice, may still be around BUT may not want to answer again or twenty times over, the same thing they already said, each time there is a new post with the same subject, so the newer posts would be lacking in information.
Just the way I think. I know I have added to an older post and someone asked me to start a new post to ask, and I did not understand why!

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
My thoughts about old posts are that they offer valid information that many posters have taken the time to type out, why re-invent the wheel? If there would be a post that has old information/practices that are no longer used and could be dangerous, then maybe we have to think differently about a post like that. Otherwise, all of the information, suggestions and questions answered in an old post are a bonus, I would rather go to a forum and find one or two posts about a topic I am looking for, rather than twenty because the rules stated that a new post had to be started every time. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the OP may not be around anymore, YES, AND they may have had THE best advice, so why wouldn't I want to learn from them in an old post. THE people who answered in the original post with awesome advice, may still be around BUT may not want to answer again or twenty times over, the same thing they already said, each time there is a new post with the same subject, so the newer posts would be lacking in information.
Just the way I think. I know I have added to an older post and someone asked me to start a new post to ask, and I did not understand why!
TOTALLY AGREE.

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the OP may not be around anymore, YES, AND they may have had THE best advice, so why wouldn't I want to learn from them in an old post.
Yes,you can learn from what they have written, you read. I constantly find people quoting the OP on old threads that are from 4, 5, 9 yrs ago, and then asking them questions on what they have written, then expecting an answer from them. That's just not going to happen when they haven't been on the forum for a number of years, so then I have to let the person know that they probably won't get an answer from them, that's a courtesy on my part. If would save me a lot of time if they weren't posted on in the first place. This is not a one off, it happens all the time.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Reaction score
I’ve been on a lot of message boards going back 20+ years and I had never heard of ‘necroposting’ or see some people get so upset when it happens. I say to them...step away from the Sodium Hydroxide!

All information is valuable...even bad information is good because you learn from others that it is bad and so you don’t it, or if maybe you think you’re above the rules and find out that you aren’t, but you were warned. And even if that poster is no longer around, plenty of others who are and they can answer questions too.

Just my ten cents.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I’ve been on a lot of message boards going back 20+ years and I had never heard of ‘necroposting’ or see some people get so upset when it happens.
Consider yourself fortunate. lol I have visited several boards whilst doing research, and I also know through folks who frequent other boards, where necroposting is quite the bane of contention amongst the membership. Just do a google search on "Why is necroposting bad?' and you'll run into a plethora of them. My hubby frequents a handful of computer/tech boards that make the most negative SMF responses to necroposting look like a pleasant Sunday stroll in the park in comparison. lol

IrishLass :)

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I had to look up the word as I had never heard it on the forums I frequented from 2000 to 2015. And almost all of the forums I've been on since then have never mentioned it. So, while not usually appreciated here, it is allowed.

TheGecko

Reaction score
My hubby frequents a handful of computer/tech boards that make the most negative SMF responses to necroposting look like a pleasant Sunday stroll in the park in comparison. lol
A really simple solution to the 'problem'...lock the thread. I used to run a 'family law' board back in the late 90s and we frequently did this as laws changed or things got too heated.

soapmaker

Soapmaker
Reaction score
A really simple solution to the 'problem'...lock the thread. I used to run a 'family law' board back in the late 90s and we frequently did this as laws changed or things got too heated.
Thankfully SMF doesn't carry it that far. There's lots of good reading.

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it makes no sense to offer advice to someone who hasn’t been around for 5 years. On the other hand, adding relevant updates to threads on techniques seems reasonable and IMHO makes it easier for those of us who haven’t been around for years to find the information. Similar philosophy here: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/38661/.

“Harakou wrote:

First things first: What is a necropost?
A necropost is generally referred to as a reply to an old, abandoned thread that has been considered “dead” for a while. Basically, a thread that no longer serves any purpose is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it.

How old should a thread be before it is considered “dead”?
This depends on the thread and the forum it is in. Some things to consider:
-Has the initial question been resolved?
-Is the subject no longer relevant?...
-Is the thread relatively old?...

Is it ever okay to necropost?
Yes. If you believe you have something to add to the subject that no one else has mentioned, and the topic is still relevant or unresolved, you can give your input; it may spark new discussion! However, do some searching and make sure the subject hasn't been resolved or continued on somewhere else since then. In addition, some topics, such as Show and Tell threads, are never too old to post in. Since those are there for you to give feedback, rather than hold a discussion, you can always leave a comment for the maker. There's nothing like bringing a great project that has been forgotten back into the limelight.”

Nona'sFarm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first forum, so this is all new to me. Born in 1953, the computer age is still a wonderment to me. In fact, for most computer related problems I consult my children or grandchild. :)

When I first joined the forum I made mistakes, then someone kindly directed me to the "rules posts." Obviously , whoever decided to leave posts open, vs a hard stop after a certain length of time had their reasons, but it is confusing. As I am still in the early stages of the CP & HP soap learning curve, I read all new posts in the Beginning and Lye-Based forums. I do get caught off guard when I realize I am reading something that was started in 2014, etc. So for me I would rather threads that have been inactive for a year be locked. Reason for a year? - gives a soaper time to post a follow-up if they would like.

I have used the search function a lot and learned from old posts, so would not want the threads removed, but I see nothing wrong with locking down inactive threads and starting new posts; after all it is a forum, not a book. The interaction is part of the appeal.

Peachy Clean Soap

Reaction score
Being new here Im learning how to navigate through the post' I did have a commit or question on an old post not realizing it. I was alerted to the fact that I may not receive an answer due to an old post, which was nice. I'll half to pay close attention on post dates moving forward. Im learning so much & truly appreciate old & new post. 🤗🧼

Angie

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It is not bad, just that for many years it was thought bad. It is nice to start with a new thread, but no one should shame you for posting on an old thread. Just remember that some of the members on an old thread may not be around to answer any questions you may post.

Peachy Clean Soap

Reaction score
I'm finding it hard to decipher if a post is old or not. Yesterday Id loved to commit or least give a thumbs up on a post & chose not to because I wasn't sure if the post was old with current responders? Im not Techie what so ever, but happy to say I'm now aware & its meaning of Necroposting.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
@Peachy Clean Soap --

A "like" is fine because it doesn't bump an old thread out of obscurity into an active thread within a forum. Whether the poster will know about your "like" is another story, but it never hurts to show appreciation. That's especially true if the "thanks" can be sent to the poster in a way that's courteous to everyone else (in other words, using the "like" button or a private message).

The date and time a post is made is shown at the top of every post. Look in the upper left corner of your last post in this thread -- you'll see it there.

linne1gi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first forum, so this is all new to me. Born in 1953, the computer age is still a wonderment to me. In fact, for most computer related problems I consult my children or grandchild. :)

When I first joined the forum I made mistakes, then someone kindly directed me to the "rules posts." Obviously , whoever decided to leave posts open, vs a hard stop after a certain length of time had their reasons, but it is confusing. As I am still in the early stages of the CP & HP soap learning curve, I read all new posts in the Beginning and Lye-Based forums. I do get caught off guard when I realize I am reading something that was started in 2014, etc. So for me I would rather threads that have been inactive for a year be locked. Reason for a year? - gives a soaper time to post a follow-up if they would like.

I have used the search function a lot and learned from old posts, so would not want the threads removed, but I see nothing wrong with locking down inactive threads and starting new posts; after all it is a forum, not a book. The interaction is part of the appeal.
Hm, Older than you (born in 1951) and my kids come to me for computer advice.

Latest posts