Why is necroposting bad?

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by MGM, Feb 27, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2020 #41

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

My thoughts about old posts are that they offer valid information that many posters have taken the time to type out, why re-invent the wheel? If there would be a post that has old information/practices that are no longer used and could be dangerous, then maybe we have to think differently about a post like that. Otherwise, all of the information, suggestions and questions answered in an old post are a bonus, I would rather go to a forum and find one or two posts about a topic I am looking for, rather than twenty because the rules stated that a new post had to be started every time. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the OP may not be around anymore, YES, AND they may have had THE best advice, so why wouldn't I want to learn from them in an old post. THE people who answered in the original post with awesome advice, may still be around BUT may not want to answer again or twenty times over, the same thing they already said, each time there is a new post with the same subject, so the newer posts would be lacking in information.
    Just the way I think. I know I have added to an older post and someone asked me to start a new post to ask, and I did not understand why!

2. Jan 10, 2020 #42

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Soapmaker Supporting Member

TOTALLY AGREE.

Mobjack Bay and AliOop like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2020 #43

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin SPONSOR

Yes,you can learn from what they have written, you read. I constantly find people quoting the OP on old threads that are from 4, 5, 9 yrs ago, and then asking them questions on what they have written, then expecting an answer from them. That's just not going to happen when they haven't been on the forum for a number of years, so then I have to let the person know that they probably won't get an answer from them, that's a courtesy on my part. If would save me a lot of time if they weren't posted on in the first place. This is not a one off, it happens all the time.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Primrose and shunt2011 like this.
  4. Jan 11, 2020 #44

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

I’ve been on a lot of message boards going back 20+ years and I had never heard of ‘necroposting’ or see some people get so upset when it happens. I say to them...step away from the Sodium Hydroxide!

All information is valuable...even bad information is good because you learn from others that it is bad and so you don’t it, or if maybe you think you’re above the rules and find out that you aren’t, but you were warned. And even if that poster is no longer around, plenty of others who are and they can answer questions too.

Just my ten cents.

reinbeau and KeepItSimpleSoap like this.
  5. Jan 11, 2020 #45

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Consider yourself fortunate. lol I have visited several boards whilst doing research, and I also know through folks who frequent other boards, where necroposting is quite the bane of contention amongst the membership. Just do a google search on "Why is necroposting bad?' and you'll run into a plethora of them. My hubby frequents a handful of computer/tech boards that make the most negative SMF responses to necroposting look like a pleasant Sunday stroll in the park in comparison. lol

IrishLass :)

AliOop and Ladka like this.
  6. Jan 11, 2020 #46

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

I had to look up the word as I had never heard it on the forums I frequented from 2000 to 2015. And almost all of the forums I've been on since then have never mentioned it. So, while not usually appreciated here, it is allowed.

7. Jan 11, 2020 #47

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

A really simple solution to the 'problem'...lock the thread. I used to run a 'family law' board back in the late 90s and we frequently did this as laws changed or things got too heated.

Ladka likes this.
  8. Jan 11, 2020 #48

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Thankfully SMF doesn't carry it that far. There's lots of good reading.

9. Jan 12, 2020 #49

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

Locking a thread only means that you can’t reply to it; you can still read.

Angie and artemis like this.
  10. Jan 12, 2020 #50

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I agree that it makes no sense to offer advice to someone who hasn’t been around for 5 years. On the other hand, adding relevant updates to threads on techniques seems reasonable and IMHO makes it easier for those of us who haven’t been around for years to find the information. Similar philosophy here: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/38661/.

“Harakou wrote:

First things first: What is a necropost?
    A necropost is generally referred to as a reply to an old, abandoned thread that has been considered “dead” for a while. Basically, a thread that no longer serves any purpose is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it.

How old should a thread be before it is considered “dead”?
    This depends on the thread and the forum it is in. Some things to consider:
    -Has the initial question been resolved?
    -Is the subject no longer relevant?...
    -Is the thread relatively old?...

Is it ever okay to necropost?
    Yes. If you believe you have something to add to the subject that no one else has mentioned, and the topic is still relevant or unresolved, you can give your input; it may spark new discussion! However, do some searching and make sure the subject hasn't been resolved or continued on somewhere else since then. In addition, some topics, such as Show and Tell threads, are never too old to post in. Since those are there for you to give feedback, rather than hold a discussion, you can always leave a comment for the maker. There's nothing like bringing a great project that has been forgotten back into the limelight.”

reinbeau likes this.
  11. Jan 12, 2020 #51

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Supporting Member

This is my first forum, so this is all new to me. Born in 1953, the computer age is still a wonderment to me. In fact, for most computer related problems I consult my children or grandchild. :)

When I first joined the forum I made mistakes, then someone kindly directed me to the "rules posts." Obviously , whoever decided to leave posts open, vs a hard stop after a certain length of time had their reasons, but it is confusing. As I am still in the early stages of the CP & HP soap learning curve, I read all new posts in the Beginning and Lye-Based forums. I do get caught off guard when I realize I am reading something that was started in 2014, etc. So for me I would rather threads that have been inactive for a year be locked. Reason for a year? - gives a soaper time to post a follow-up if they would like.

I have used the search function a lot and learned from old posts, so would not want the threads removed, but I see nothing wrong with locking down inactive threads and starting new posts; after all it is a forum, not a book. The interaction is part of the appeal.

Noreen Moore, AliOop and Ladka like this.
  12. Jan 12, 2020 #52

soapmaker

soapmaker

soapmaker

Thanks! Didn't know that.

Ladka likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted