Why is my soap doing this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
I made soap a few hours ago, put it in wooden soap mold. It looked as tho it was gelling an hour ago, but now the outside is firming up, but the center is hot, almost too hot to touch. I did put saran wrap over the top before I put the lid one, was that a mistake? Am I ruining it?

9.6 Olive
9.6 Coconut
6.4 Shea
6.4 Palm
12oz. water
4.4 lye
1.5 oz FO
and a small amount of cocoa powder and coffee grounds

editing : ok, I have to laugh at myself. I seached briefly for an answer and after posting this, I noticed that the hot spot was geting bigger. So I searched a little more and I think I got it. I'm new to using wood molds, but apparently the 'problem' is that I actually did it right finally and it's gelling nicely. I just worried cuz it got 'very' hot. But since I never covered it in saran wrap before, I never got to touch it to feel how hot it gets. So I believe I just overreacted a little, but would still like an opinion on it. :) TY

hot spot

it sounds like you're fine. wooden soap molds are self insulating. i always get a faster gel. sometimes a f/oil can increase temperature of soap in the mold.

i wouldn't worry...quit peeking!...putting plastic over the mold and leaving the lid on keeps yor soap from getting an ash layer.

congrats! looks like you've got a box of soap!

monet

That's just gel phase. Normal behavior.

I peek all the time to monitor for overheating - hate cracks on top & volcanoing. If the surface starts to push up, I move it to a cooler spot.

Back