why is my soap always so crumbly at the edges?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplyamanda

Reaction score
I seem to be having a serious problem with my soap developing super-hard crumbly edges... It also seems to cure really unevenly and is white around the sides while retaining colour in the centre

Am I using too much hard oil? I have about 30% coconut oil and about 15% palm oil (along with olive, sunflower and safllower)

HELP!!

i had this happen to me only once, and thats because my mold wasnt isolated properly.. and also I used too much cocoa butter.. too much hard oils sounds about right... check your measurements again

thanks! I suspected that it may be an insulation problem, but now I find that the more I read on this forum the more confused I get... One post is talking about keeping soap cold to prevent cracking - I feel like I am missing a lot of information here!!

I also just discovered that Olive Oil is supposed to be considered a hard oil - surprise surprise!!

Dont be confused. Its a matter of preference.
I completely cover my soaps with towels, or put them in the oven on warm over night.
Some people dont want their soap to gel, so they put it in a cold environment, or refrigerator...

Just a preference you will develop over time.

Olive oil is considered a hard oil, because over time.. sometimes a long time it will become rock hard... but it can also be slimy..

Read more on olive oil, as well as coconut oil.. two of my favorite oils.

You've ended up with what I call chaulky soap. This occurs when the soap cools too quickly. I always insulate my soap in wool blankets for around 24 hours or until it reaches room temperature. I also warm my molds and any additive in the oven on very low before I pour the soap base. I find this ensures my soaps have a smooth and even appearance.

Keep it up! Once you get the feel of it you won't be able to stop making new batches. Most of us here are addicted to this craft.

Cathy

thanks for the encouragement! I've been using the same recipes for a long time and now that I am trying to explore I was feeling a bit frustrated...

It's inspirational to see all of the beautiful soaps being crafted out there!!

Back