Why i have this huge uniform discoloration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abdel

Reaction score
I Used a lavender mica and a lavender EO. I gel it by wrapping it with a towel at room temperature(35 c). And this is the result, a huge discoloration. Is it mica, EO or geling to blame?

Attachments

• IMG_20191010_232046.jpg
    IMG_20191010_232046.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20191010_232954.jpg
    IMG_20191010_232954.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 63
It looks like it only got a partial gel, but I'm not sure why the lavender would turn green like that. What brand mica did you use out of curiosity?

I take it this is freshly cut? Wait a few days. My guess is that the green will morph to the same pinky color that's on the outside edges of the bars as the soap reacts with air and/or starts to cure and dry. If I'm correct, let the soap cure for, oh, a month and cut a bar in half. You'll still see the green color deep inside the bar.

This is not a partial gel problem. The physics that creates the partial gel ring doesn't create a rind (like this) that parallels the outside shape. The boundary between the gelled center and the outer not-gelled areas will always be an oval to round shape.

Good idea. Definitely give it more time. It may turn out much nicer than you think.

I have this happen with some of my milk soaps (usually uncolored, though, which makes your problem even cooler), they will be normal off white on the outside, but when I cut them they will be greenish inside with the off white a perfect rind around all four sides. A few days into the cure time the greenish color is completely gone. Let us know how things look in a few days.

I added finely ground lavender seeds to a soap once...just to see what would happen if the smell would be retained in the soap...and it had a muddy brown on the outside and a definite gray color inside, but with a rim like your soap. After a while...don't remember how long...all the soap became the same muddy color. I figured it had to be exposure to air.

I love the two toned look of your soap but will love to see a pic of it a few weeks/months down the road

Cool....I'm half hoping it WON'T resolve! Very neat as it is!!
(I make a lot of mint and lavender soaps, so am always looking for purple and green anyway)

Latest posts

Back