Why don't fresh fruit etc. rot in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex1982

Reaction score
I'd like to add avocado to one of my soaps but since it's so mushy and prone to rot in "real" life I can't wrap my brain around why it wouldn't go bad in CP soap.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I know of folks that put fruit/veges with peels and all in their soap. How does it not spoil? How do you keep it all from turning an ugly brown?

I use carrot puree, avocado puree, pumpkin puree, banana, peaches in my soaps. I do not use chunks of fruits or veggies just purees. The fat in avocado puree will saponify. I have never had any spoil. Baby food purees work very well. In fact I am making avocado soap tonight

My guess is it's a combination of having a small amount of organic material and the intolerant (to bacteria) environment created by the lye and the soap molecules.

Most of a puree is actually water. If you used too much I bet there would be more problems. I think you still run risk of DOS but fortunately it seems to be manageable.

I found a debate on the Internet. Here's one comment, it might help us.
: Anonymous

I have been making soap approximately 15 years. I use veggies in my soap all the time and I make it using the CP method. THIS ADVICE IS NOT TRUE FOR MELT AND POUR SOAP.

It is science. Soap is an alkaline, like salt, which was used to preserve beef before we had proper refigeration methods. If you puree your veggies to a water consistency in the proper percentage it will react chemically with the soap making process and will combine in the final soap thus being preserved by the soap. You are more likely to find bacterial growth in your lotion products which are binding oils and water. Ive seen lotion grow mold just through using the wrong preservative.

Furthermore if by your theory that fruits and veggies add to bacterial growth, what do you think would happen adding goatsmilk or coconut milk? Or the fact that you are adding water to oils?

Use common sense. make sure you are adding it at the right percentage and that it is pureed into liquid form. Yes it is SCIENCE. Even if you dont send it off to a lab. Soap making is science. Btw have you looked at studies involving many commercial preservatives? Scary!

Back