Why does handmade lotion feel dry.?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use glycerin at about 5%. My house is so dry in the winter and it seems to help. But i have learned not to use it before going to work. I heat up too much and the glycerin and sweat don't play nice.
On a side note, I was selling at a fair last fall and had tester bottles. A woman used one pump (2 cc) and needed a towel to wipe off all the excess... Goes to show that we're all different!

Paillo your lotion is awesome, but do you really need so many the most expensive oils in it, on the top of silk? I make a facial with abyssinian and a lot of other things mostly botanical and it is extremely good. The one with silk i combined with hazelnut oil, Young people prefer it, I like it under the make up. Sunflower is an awesome oil, so is Gmo free Soy oil; the last one absorbs beautifully

Yeah, I need to pare that recipe way down, there are ingredients that are redundant and it's way too complicated, I get the heebeejeebies for days before planning a batch. I love hazelnut oil and sunflower as well, but have an unsubstantiated dislike of soy. Wish I were a lotion person, if so I would have spent more time refining it.

My best feedback has been from a spinner friend. She loves my lotion bars and has tried numerous potions good for spinners, but says my lotion is the only thing she's tried that keeps her fingers from turning to sticky sandpaper.

Thanks for the feedback, I love that! I don't mind the spendy, not really in the biz for the money, mostly just the love of doing it :)

The WSP website has an excellent pdf that has properties of oils and butters, including absorption rates. Using oils that absorb into the skin quickly will give you a lotion that feels drier sooner; using oils that take a long time to absorb will make a greasier lotion. Using a combination, you should be able to design a lotion that begins to absorb quickly but lasts longer on the skin.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/education/calculators-charts.aspx

Scroll down to Fixed Oils & Butters Properties

This is so helpful! I order from WSP all the time and can't believe that I've never explored all of their charts before. I guess I got blinded by all of those FOs. :) Thanks for sharing this!

Back