Why Does Anyone Want to make LS Anyway?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likesoap16

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm new to the forum and I know why I like to make LS, was just curious why others wanted to make it too.
We all know it can be frustrating, limiting and downright irritating at times! LOL

But I still love it! It's such a good feeling when I finally get it just right! I tend to make all types of LS for all types of cleaning, hand soap, laundry soap, facial wash, dog shampoo and shower gels.
I'd love to hear why you like to make LS!
Lisa

I like doing it. I like everything about soap making. I like being creative and making LS gives me another outlet for that creativity.

Hi all!

We all know it can be frustrating, limiting and downright irritating at times! LOL

I don't think that LS (glycerin method) is anything of these you mention. Can you explain it more?

For me it's a easy and fast way of creating a very soluble type of soap (potassium) that can be used right after it passes the zap test (as a paste or diluted), compared to the sodium bar of soap.

You mean the types of soaps I make? Facial soap. laundry soap, etc? I'm not quite sure what your asking. Or if your referring to it being irritating, frustrating, at times. Just when I was first learning and it didn't always turn out the way I wanted it to!

But yes I agree it brings our the creative side of me, it why I really enjoy it!

I think that ngian was referring to you saying that making liquid soap can be frustrating, limiting, and downright irritating. He was pointing out that the glycerine method is often none of those things while many people find the method that you follow to be very much as you describe

I like making liquid soap for the same reasons that Maya and Ngian mentioned- for the enjoyable creative outlet it gives me, and also for the ease of being able to make a luxuriant-feeling liquid soap that's able to be bottled and used the same day I make it. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to make something from scratch that I've always had to buy commercially....and to have it turn out even better than the commercial brands I used to depend upon.

Like Ngian, I use the glycerin method and have never found it to be frustrating, limiting or irritating...........except perhaps at the beginning when I was still trying to figure out my dilution rates. That admittedly caused me a week or two frustration, for sure! LOL Once I was finally able to successfully dilute to the consistency that I liked best, though, things became smooth sailing.

IrishLass :)

I started making liquid soap for the same reason I make bar soap- eczema. I am allergic to commercial "soaps" to the point that I have to bring my own soap to wash my hands at work.

I continue making different liquid soap for the same reasons mentioned above- the creativity, the ability to use it the same day, the luxury of having wonderful creamy lather every time I wash my hands. I also make 100% CO liquid soap for cleaning dishes, clothes, bathroom, etc.

I liked the idea of LS but in the end, I don't like using it. Either its too gentle and doesn't lather or it lathers and is way too drying. I just can't find a happy medium so I'm done with LS.
I do make a 100% coconut LS that I use as a stain remover for laundry, works great.

I've never been able to make a glycerin liquid soap. I just make liquid soap for laundry mostly. If I get around to buying PS-80, I will consider branching out and making coffee or beer liquid soap (coffee liquid soap is fantastic so why not try beer.)

Im wanting to learn how to make soap without lye and make beautiful glycerin soap filled with pretties and honey milk and oatmeal bars for great face n body scrub. I want to make lovely gift baskets for holidays and special occasions. I myself BUY pretty soaps for my own home. Why not learn the joy of creating and giving? But i really dont wanna deal with measuring lye.is there hope for me? Plus as a senior on a strict budget i mustfind the most cost efficient way to do this.

Im wanting to learn how to make soap without lye and make beautiful glycerin soap filled with pretties and honey milk and oatmeal bars for great face n body scrub. I want to make lovely gift baskets for holidays and special occasions. I myself BUY pretty soaps for my own home. Why not learn the joy of creating and giving? But i really dont wanna deal with measuring lye.is there hope for me? Plus as a senior on a strict budget i mustfind the most cost efficient way to do this.

There is a great melt and pour forum just above the liquid and cream soap forum. That is the place to go read on exactly what you want to do.

Ur a blessing
Im sure for all these Soap maker extraordinaires what i want is silly. But im JUST starting learning and it seems easier than all those measurements and initials i dont know what they mean

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be afraid of using lye, too. It took me a year or so to get up enough courage before I made my fist batch of soap with lye........ and once I did, I promptly kicked myself for being such a fraidy-cat. LOL

As long as you take the proper precautions like Susie said above^^I'm sure you'll probably wonder what took you so long to drop the fear, too.

IrishLass :)

I enjoyed reading eveyone's responses! Lye does seem kind of risky at first, till you use it the first time! Just for the record, I no longer find making LS my way, the paste method, hard, actually it's super simple....can use the same day if I want. i guess I've got it down to a science. It was just a learning curve like everything else. There just isn't a lot of information available on making LS. Kind of have to figure it out for yourself. This forum is very informative. But still it's not like having someone sit down with you and show you and explain all the details. It's a lot of asking, digging and figuring it out. The books available are few, and kind of technical. But I now have my own system that works very well for me and always have a guaranteed outcome! From what I've seen the paste method seems to produce a much clearer soap. I really pride myself on achieving crystal clarity in my soaps.

U are ALL right. And im a person who learns by SEEING something done once.i wish i knew someone who knows how to make soap.just show me.and I'd take it from there so im depending on this delightful forum to spoon feed me the best way to begin.Im a retired pastor and social worker and would love to make welcome baskets for my gals in domestic violence shelters. They most ALWAYS leave their homes with nothing and it would b a little something special.

For sudzilla

There are many wonderful soap making videos on YouTube to get you started. Soapqueen is a very thorough and reliable source and can walk anyone through anything. Her videos among others helped me out when I got started!

Latest posts

Back