Why does 80 lard, 20 coconut soap feel so good on my skin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Non-sucky" I love it
Wow, it's been over a year and a half now when I made/tried my first lard recipe. I had DH mix the soaps up and I loved the lard every time. I have people constantly ask me for vegan soap, but boy are they missing out.

"Non-sucky" I love it
Wow, it's been over a year and a half now when I made/tried my first lard recipe. I had DH mix the soaps up and I loved the lard every time. I have people constantly ask me for vegan soap, but boy are they missing out.

Never had bacon that wasn't good... so I guess that's science

And let me just add, pigs are delicious. That may not be relevant.

I've been using lard and love it but this is something I might want to try. No other oils? What's the typical SF % for this?

I've been using lard and love it but this is something I might want to try. No other oils? What's the typical SF % for this?

My favorite recipe is this:

Lard 70%
Coconut Oil 15%
Olive Oil 10%
Castor Oil 5%

Superfat 5-8% depending on the time of the year. More in winter.

How long ago did you make those bars, BTW?

And let me just add, pigs are delicious. That may not be relevant.

I had my delicious fill of pig today. I had lunch at Arby's and chose as my meal their limited-offer sandwich called King's Hawaiian Brown Sugar Bacon BLT, which had a whopping 6 strips of bacon on it- 3 encrusted with brown sugar, and the other 3 with pepper. Oh my.....it was so good! I guess you could say that I really pigged out! LOL

IrishLass :)

I think the scientific reason behind it is because we are so genetically close to the pigs. You know, gelatin is from pigs and who doesn't love Jello? Insulin originally came from pigs and scientists use pig parts to make human parts and...I'm making this crap up, in case you couldn't figure that out...or not.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/pig-heart-transplants-humans-are-way

I feel as if I was reading a paid advertisement, as enticing as that may sound haha

LOL :lol: Oh- I forgot to put this disclaimer in fine print (The information as to the specific name and/or sweet/savory, porcine deliciousness of said bacon-filled sandwich as provided by IrishLass in no way implies affiliation with Arby's and/or any of its subsidiaries, parent company, holding companies or shareholders, siblings, cousins, uncles/aunts, grandparents, or any other related kinfolk (adopted or biological) and/or their friends (including FB friends) and/or enemies. Any endorsement of said product was given freely and without any monetary compensation......other than the utter scrumptiousness of the bacon, which is just as good as money).

IrishLass :razz:

Welcome to the lardy side...lardinator. Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.

I can agree to some degree. I will resist until I can make a batch of lardy soap that doesn't develop a piggy smell after a three month cure (It never smelled when I soaped with it so what gives?)

I had my delicious fill of pig today. I had lunch at Arby's and chose as my meal their limited-offer sandwich called King's Hawaiian Brown Sugar Bacon BLT, which had a whopping 6 strips of bacon on it- 3 encrusted with brown sugar, and the other 3 with pepper. Oh my.....it was so good! I guess you could say that I really pigged out! LOL

IrishLass :)

Sounds tasty but SIX strips of bacon? I'd love to try that if I didn't have my pork issues. :(

I think the scientific reason behind it is because we are so genetically close to the pigs. You know, gelatin is from pigs and who doesn't love Jello? Insulin originally came from pigs and scientists use pig parts to make human parts and...I'm making this crap up, in case you couldn't figure that out...or not.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/pig-heart-transplants-humans-are-way

I actually HATE, nay, LOATHE jello. Gummy bears and Oreos are fine.

Back