Why do you make soleseife/brine bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With all the recent discussion of bars made with a brine solution, I’m thinking about trying a classic soleseife/brine bar type recipe. Is the point mostly to increase the hardness/longevity of bars that have a high percentage of soft oils, or are there other reasons to make this kind of soap? As I understand it, adding salt decreases the solubility of the soap. I’m especially curious about the effects on lathering. TIA

My understanding is that "the skin conditions that may benefit from a brine soap include acne, dermatitis, bacterial or fungal skin infections and body odor issues."
I made some to give to my daughter who has recurring back acne. Currently, the soap is still curing, so I can't yet comment on the effectiveness.

I think they are salt bar light so to speak. Not as much salt as a salt bar, a bit easier to work with and of course not the super high coconut amounts.

As for lathering, I think that really depends on the recipe used. I've not tried my base recipe as it has low coconut. The few times I made a brine bar, I altered my recipe to include more coconut.
So far. I'm not a fan but I think that might be more due to the recipe and not the brine.

I make a Soleseif Dead Sea Mud and Charcoal Soap for my daughter that fights adult acne and she loves it. I use 35% PKO, AVO, Hemp Oil, Shea and Lard with an 11% superfat. It is also a good seller for me.
Thanks for the info on the SF. I just asked about it on the other thread before checking in on this one.

I made my first brine soap a year ago and was not impressed to say the least. So I tried it after a year of cure and OMG, this is my favorite soap! Feels great, superb silky lather, and a bit cooling to the skin. The only "oops" moment is scent - I used essential oils and they are gone after a year of cure. Made new batch following recommendations from "Longest Lasting EOs in CP soap" thread. Won't be touching it for a year! The secret to brine bars is extended cure time. They become treasures after a year. If you are patient enough to wait even longer.... They are the WINE of SOAPS, become better with aging.
@Mobjack Bay - I found couple small samples of the same batch in my stash and can mail you one to try. PM me the address and I'll ship it.

From the other thread:
My first successful batches I made with 7% SF and slightly modified my regular recipe from CO 18% to CO 28%. Quite lovely in hot sticky summer months but not so much in dry winter months. My last batches were 9% SF and my regular recipe (18% CO and includes 20% butters). I couldn't tell a difference in lather between the two recipes, but I could feel the cleansing difference. Not sure if it was the change in SF or lowering the CO or the combination of both, but the the higher SF with lower CO is more pleasing for my skin year round.

As to why I made them... because I wanted to try them. :D Just like I wanted to try regular salt bars. My husband is addicted to regular salt bars and sometimes trying to coordinate a make/cure schedule with his usage schedule causes me anxiety. I was really hoping he would like brine soaps just as much, which would make it easier for me if the bars lasted longer and needed less cure time. No such luck. I did discover that I like them quite a bit, as well as a few of my customers with psoriasis or eczema.

My first ever CP batch was soleseife with charcoal and moringa. I wish I had one left to try but I had mistakenly given them all to family thinking I had one or two hidden.

I can't remember why I wanted to try it. I read about it on Pinterest and gave it a go. But once I did, I loved how smooth n hard they were and I like the lather and the way I feel "refreshed" n clean after. I know it's the coconut doing the cleansing, but I can't explain how it differs from my other soaps in that aspect. It just does lol

Oh btw, my bars that are younger than 6mos don't last as long as my HP ones of the same age. Probably the high amount of coconut? Don't know if it's the same for others. I have one that'll be a year end of this month. I'll try to see how long that one lasts.

Lastly... Natural colorants and EOs don't last that long in soleseifes, except charcoal maybe? I've tried moringa, turmeric and indigo (not the blue) and they're almost gone. The mica I tried once also faded quickly but that could also be the mica, not the soap. I can barely smell the EOs I used in the soap I made last month but that could also be my amount so I upped it in my newest batch.

Last edited:
Majority of soap I make are brine bars. They are very popular with my friends. I use unrefined sea salt. The reason I make them is that they don't disintegrate in the dish or go mushy. I only use 20% coconut in my soap but the lather works well.

Usually about 3 weeks. I also regularly run out because my friends love my soap and buy lots of it. I use 50/50 liquid and solid fats in my soap

Back