Why did my soap turn dark yellow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeborahH

Reaction score
Any ideas on why the background color of this soap turned dark yellow?
Recipe was:
16 oz. olive oil
10 oz. palm oil
10 oz. coconut oil
8 oz. canola oil
2 oz. apricot kernel oil
15 oz. distilled water
6.35 oz. sodium hydroxide
3 T. oakmoss FO
Nothing added to base color of soap
Accents are black oxide and brown oxide, did not get the effect I was looking for, but a learning experience nevertheless
Temp. of both lye and fats was right around 100 degrees
Mold was silicone in wire basket from Essential Depot, wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler so it would go through gel
But why did the background turn to yellow? You can see on the top of the bar what the base color looked like.
Grateful for any ideas!

20150214_165720.jpg

I suspect it's the Oakmoss as well. Here is the the color performance description of the Oakmoss sold by Oregon Trails "It does discolor by your recipe and the amount you use from tan to deep brick red/brown." and "Soap Performance: Color depends on your base but no acceleration, see description"

But why would the top still be the original color? Only the interior turned yellow, the tops of the bars are still cream-colored.

Yes, Carolyn Z, same supplier and even from the same bottle -- last time I did a subtle green and white swirl, no problems (photo attached). That's why I'm so stumped.

P1010636.jpg

How long ago did you cut it? Could be it will all turn back to the color as on top after some cure time...however Im suspecting the FO and maybe the OO...what shade is your OO? Green maybe?

That also could be the reason you didn't notice the last batch had a 'tint' or something because you went with green previously.

It's been curing since 2/13, color is still as dark as the photo shows, so curing doesn't seem to be helping. The last time I used Oakmoss FO, the recipe included a significant amount of vegetable shortening, so maybe that kept the color more stable. The olive oil wasn't particularly green -- and I used the same color and source as the batch that didn't turn yellow.

Back