why did my soap go brown like the picture?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
I made this soap (CP) with mixing in poppy seeds.
But after I took it out from the mold and started curing, the soap turned this brownish orange.
It started changing color as it was curing and the soap is very ugly and I still don't know what caused this.
My oils are just regular ones
Olive, Castor, Coconut, Palm..
The soaps in the picture are the same, just turned backwards to show the color changes.
Could someone please explain?
Thank you so much!!

KakaoTalk_20170103_114226231.jpg

KakaoTalk_20170103_114227961.jpg

Last edited:
How long has it been since you removed the soap from its mold?

In the second picture, the visible side of the right hand bar is darkest. Was this surface toward the mold? If so, what is the mold made of -- and specifically, what was touching the surfaces of the soap when it was in this mold?

I used Sweet Orange scents and as I am quite new to soaping, the oils are not old.
Thank you.

I removed from the mold about a day later I put it in.
The mold I use is the Crafter's Choice silicone loaf mold.
Thank you.

How does it smell? Rancid oils in soap that has pervasive DOS smell just awful. Sort of putrid, really. But if the fronts are still mostly white and the backs are turning yellowish-orange (to me it looks yellowish-orange in the picture), then that would seem a little weird. How did you store them? Did the back of the soap that is discolored come in contact with something that it could have picked up color from?

I have actually tried transferring color from paper to soap and it does pick up color, not attractively. And I've lain fresh soap on a plastic cutting mat that had a colored logo on the front of the mat. The soap picked up the color of the logo, also not attractive. I am very careful not to put fresh soap onto that mat unless it is turned upside down so the logo cannot transfer to the soap.

Were the oils fresh or could they have gone past the best use-by date? That could make them prone to DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots - or in other words, oils that have gone rancid in the soap causing discoloration that can lead to a very strong odor as it progresses.) If it's DOS but doesn't smell bad, the soap is supposed to be safe to use, but once it starts smelling bad I know I wouldn't want to use it.

ETA: I see you already responded the freshness of the oil before I hit send (off dealing with laundry mid-post.)

Last edited:
It doesn't really smell that bad.
Most of the EO have disappeared and now it's left with mild scent.. now closer to oil smell? But it's not bad smell.
I did use it and it functions just as well as normal soap, just looking ugly.
The making was my usual CP way so I don't know what I've done different from my other soaps.

Thank you.

I used distilled water, as usual.
I used same oils, lye, water, mold, everything etc as with my other soaps and put it to cure like I always do.
I put it out on the wire rack so it can breathe all the way around with no blocked sides.
But it started to color about a day or two later I put it on the rack.
And as you can see from the picture, only some parts got more colored and some part is white as I intended it to.
Very confusing..

You said you used a sweet orange eo... what brand? To my understanding orange eo's often color the soap an orange tint. With a brand name someone might be able to chime in with their experience.

My guess is either the sweet orange EO (it usually causes an orangey tint but I've never seen the discoloration be that uneven) or possibly DOS since you mentioned curing on a wire rack (unless it's stainless)

I used distilled water, as usual.
I used same oils, lye, water, mold, everything etc as with my other soaps and put it to cure like I always do.
I put it out on the wire rack so it can breathe all the way around with no blocked sides.
But it started to color about a day or two later I put it on the rack.
And as you can see from the picture, only some parts got more colored and some part is white as I intended it to.
Very confusing..

Did the soap touch bare metal on the wire rack?

My guess would be DOS from laying the soap in contact with the metal rack. You can use that rack as long as you put down a sheet of parchment paper, brown paper or anything non-reactive that keeps the soap out of direct contact with the metal.

If it's a rack as in something like a cookie cooling rack, then DOS caused by the metal will most likely be in a pattern similar to the rack pattern I've seen that a few times. This doesn't seem to fit that problem.

It could be all-over DOS from rancidity, but usually the rancid odor is pretty obvious. The other issue about that is that the all-over DOS discoloration caused by oxidized fats takes some time to happen -- and this soap isn't all that old if I'm following the conversation correctly. The other tip off that the oils were oxidized and perhaps more prone to rancidity is if the soap came to trace unusually fast. That would be caused by the extra free fatty acids present in an oxidized fat.

I'm starting to wonder if it's discoloration from the fragrance used as it reacts with air. Other soaps I've seen like this have a defined "rind" on the outside where the fragrance (or colorant) has had more time to react with the air. The effect on this soap isn't quite so clear, but still ...

Just because oils are newly bought doesn't mean the oils are fresh, by the way. They could have sat on the store shelf for a long time before you bought them. That is why I try to buy supplies from places that do a good business so their inventory is likely to be as fresh as possible. I'm not saying your oils aren't fresh -- there's no way for me to know -- but just sharing this tip for future reference.

Was the Sweet Orange an EO, or a fragrance oil? If it was a fragrance oil, what brand? It looks to me a bit like discoloration from the fragrance, not fully mixed, giving you lighter and darker patches.

Thank you all very much for the replies.

I now know I should put something on the wire rack, thank you for that tip!
About the orange EO i bought it from Bulk Apothecary.
And since the coloration started when it was out of the mold maybe it's got to do something with being exposed in air.. or something.
Oil ok, smell ok, EO ok, mold ok.. wire rack not so ok (but nothing went wrong with other soaps so maybe ok)
I still am quite not sure what caused it but since it didn't happen with my other soaps I guess I will leave this as a mystery :)
Thank you again for all your replies, much appreciated.

IME, the orange EO instantly makes the soap batter orange, I've never seen it morph that way. And it's more of a bright orange, that looks like DOS orange to me. But it sounds like all of the ingredients are fresh?

^^^^ I think it looks like dos orange too. Is the mold brand new or has it been used before, and how well is it cleaned between uses? I have 2 bars of soap - both are the end pieces, that developed dos from top to bottom. My theory is that because I can't wash them with Dawn detergent, there's a larger of old oils clinging to the mold that affects freshly poured soap.

That won't explain the dos on the inside of the cut bars, but there may be a second reason for that.

^^^^ I think it looks like dos orange too. Is the mold brand new or has it been used before, and how well is it cleaned between uses? I have 2 bars of soap - both are the end pieces, that developed dos from top to bottom. My theory is that because I can't wash them with Dawn detergent, there's a larger of old oils clinging to the mold that affects freshly poured soap.

That won't explain the dos on the inside of the cut bars, but there may be a second reason for that.

I just recently soaked some of my plastic mixing bowls in bleach because I noticed the smell of rancid oil in 2 of them after they'd been sitting nestled inside each other. I was so concerned I might introduce DOS to soap if I used those two bowls for making soap, that I was determined to get them really clean and toss them if I couldn't get the odor out. A good long soaking did get the odor out, so I'm happy about that. Time will tell if it was enough. I think it was.

Maybe you could spray those two inside ends and corners of that mold with a bleach solution and let it air dry and see if that helps, lenarenee. Or put a bleach soaked paper towel up against the sides and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes before removing and then let it air dry. Depends on what it's made of, I guess.

Is it only discoloured in the sides that touched the mold or
Only on the sides that touched the curing racks?

What colour is your mold? What material is your mold? Even though it didn't happen before I wouldn't dismiss the mold if it is on 5 sides of the soap.

Personally I would keep trying to find out what caused it. It's not normal and if it is DOS it will happen again and spread to your other soaps.

Last edited:
Wow I never knew there were so many things that can make soap do weird stuff.
I'm really starting to loving it! :)

Back