Why did my soap frosting recipe have a reaction with the TD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrpolillo

Reaction score
So i split my batch to make two different types of frosting. One colored with mica that turned out great and the other half I made white with TD.
My recipe was as follows
25% coconut oil
18% canola oil
10% castor
25%OO
22% Palm

I am just confused as to what happened

without knowing what happened we cant' tell you why it might have happened.

If it got super thick super fast, well, that's just what happens when using TD. If that's not it, no clue on earth what might have happened.

Oh sorry. It had a bad smell and when i piped it onto thw parchment paper it ate thru the paper and took the finish off my desk. The mica colored soap frosting did not

Are you sure what you used was titanium dioxide??? That sounds like some other chemical. TD wouldn't have done that, I'm almost positive.

LOLwut?? Here we were, all waiting with bated breath for details, but guessing more typical soaping things, and @lrpolillo , you come out with The Blob that Ate New York in your frosting? Amazing!! :)

I guess i could have mistakenly used Kayolin clay. Would that have caused a reaction???

No, kaolin won't do that. I have to wonder if your TD wasn't rated for soap? Where did you get it?

I'm not an expert but, given your description of what happened, I'm going to say that was some really lye heavy stuff. You probably made a measurement mistake somewhere in either the lye or the oil. Perhaps you neglected to put in one of the oils. Was the mica colored from the same soap batch? I've never had TD act like that.

Yes the mica colored was the same batch. It still confuses me. I am going to give it another try this week!! I will let you know

Latest posts

Back