Why did my colors and layers do this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giner

Reaction score
Last weekend I made my first layered CP soap, with three layers. I divided the batter in half, and colored one half using black mica. I then divided that half in half again, and used it for the bottom and top layers. In the middle I did an in-the-pot swirl out of some other colors. A couple of things didn't quite go to plan. Unfortunately, I turned the loaf over a couple of times in the process of unmolding and then cutting it, and stupidly lost track of which end had been the top, which probably would have been really helpful information in figuring out what went wrong. But I'm still hoping to get at least some ideas.

First of all, when I cut it, one of the layers starting coming off of the bars on some of them. When this first happened, I quit cutting it, put it back in the mold, and waited a day then tried again, and that seemed to help, but I still had one more bar come apart. It seems to have been bars from the outer edges of the loaf that had the top layer came off. Did I just cut it too soon, or might there be a more complex cause?

Secondly, I didn't use enough of the black mica to make the batter actually black, it was a medium grey color. I was worried that if I added more I would mess up the texture of the soap, so I just went with it. When they came out of the mold, the layers with the black mica in them were a light grey, like concrete. But what's interesting is, I checked on them four days after unmolding, and one of the layers has darkened considerably. It's still not black, but it's a very dark grey. The other layer is still the same light grey that they both were when it first unmolded. My guess is that the darker layer was in the bottom of the mold, and either it A) went through gel phase while the outer layer did not, or B) maybe the lighter colored one just had more exposure to air overall by being on the top? I did insulate the loaf with plastic wrap and put a piece of cardboard over that for 24 hours after pouring.

Funnily enough, I'm still actually pretty happy with the batch. It's only my third batch of CP and I realize I was being overly ambitious doing both layers and a swirl, but even the bars that came apart look pretty cute. The swirl came out more of a half circle and kind of looks like a little rainbow in the middle. But I would like to know what may have caused both of my issues.

The recipe is:
Lye 2.2 oz
Water 5.1 oz
Canola oil 1.6 oz
Olive oil 4 oz
Castor oil .8 oz
Palm oil 4 oz
Coconut oil 4 oz
Sunflower oil 1.6 oz
.5 ounces of an imitation midnight path scented oil
A teaspoon plus a little more black mica in half of the batter

Here's a picture. I noticed when I took the bars out to take it, that the light grey is starting to get dark grey speckles in it. And it's only been two days since I last looked at them. So I kind of wonder if as they cure they will both end up dark and one is just taking longer to get there than the other.

IMG_4033.jpg

There is a method by which you can 'weld' the pieces back together that works exceptionally well with CP soap. I've done it myself and the bar never fell apart throughout it's life in daily use as hand soap and shower soap. It is not my original idea, the credit goes to from Grace to You.

I mention my experiment with this technique here & here.

More information about how to do it is in Grace's e-book here. See page 67 in the e-book for more about how to do it. Or so you don't have to sort through the whole book, here is a link to chapter 10, which is entirely devoted to soap welding.

A short description of exactly how I did it is in the description in my media section here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/soapwelding-2019june16.2195/
Also here is a video by Grace on this topic:

Of course, I do believe the soap recipe could potentially affect how well the pieces may stay together. In my case and in Grace's case, the recipe for the pieces of soap were all the same recipe. I don't know how much of a difference it would make if an excessive amount of additives were used in some pieces and not others. For example, if I were to use a lot of Activated Charcoal in one section, would it adhere as well to the soap without any additive?

the dark grey is the bottom, you can tell by the pattern in the swirl which way is up. try scraping a little of the light grey, see if the lighter part is just a coating. It almost looks like ash.

There is a method by which you can 'weld' the pieces back together that works exceptionally well with CP soap.

Of course, I do believe the soap recipe could potentially affect how well the pieces may stay together. In my case and in Grace's case, the recipe for the pieces of soap were all the same recipe. I don't know how much of a difference it would make if an excessive amount of additives were used in some pieces and not others. For example, if I were to use a lot of Activated Charcoal in one section, would it adhere as well to the soap without any additive?

Thanks for all of this!

the dark grey is the bottom, you can tell by the pattern in the swirl which way is up. try scraping a little of the light grey, see if the lighter part is just a coating. It almost looks like ash.

I actually used one of the pieces that fell off, and after several uses it's still light grey so I don't think it's ash.

Back