Why can't I make white colored HP soaps!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
:cry::cry:

I wanted to make white or at least ivory like color with HP.
But it only came out tan, a dark ugly tan that is.

Whilst I was stirring after turning the heat off, the color was really tan-like so I mixed in the white oxide (it's the only white I had in hand at the moment).
That didn't do any good.

Is my problem :
1. using coconut milk as liquid
2. adding sweet orange EO
3. adding white oxide mixed in glycerin

I need to make a white/ivory soap Hot Processed (I don't have time to cure for more than a week) but failed miserably.

When I made soap Cold Processed, I don't think I had the discoloring problem.
I have several very pretty ivory soaps cold processed.

If I use the liquid with just distilled water and not use the coconut milk, would it be lighter color(white/ivory like?)

Does using the Sweet Orange EO make it go brown, so omit that next time?

Please help.. I have to give this to a friend for her birthday favors in a couple of weeks.

CM makes my soap a little darker, but not much. Orange e.o. - at least the kind I usually use, BB's 10 fold - definitely discolors, I would not use it if I wanted a lighter soap. I have never used white oxide, or seen anything about it, but titanium dioxide (what most soapers use for white or to lighten other colors) does not make it darker, in glycerin or otherwise.

Also, two weeks cure is just not long enough, color regardless.

ETA: You should look into making MP, you can make v. pretty soaps, v. quickly, with that.

Last edited:
If you need soap in as little as a week's time, I would definitely go with M&P instead of HP, since (as not_ally alluded to) HP soap needs a good cure just like CP....in spite of what you may have heard out there on the interwebs. I don't do HP often, but when I do- they get cured just as long, if not longer than my CP soaps (because of the excess water, as well other reasons- what I like to call 'maturity' variables).

Having said that, it is very possible to make light-colored/ivory-like HP soap. For example, my Old Spice soap that I make via HP always comes out a beautiful off-white. You just need to be very selective in your additives and FO. It might be that you need to use a different FO, and maybe even omit the milk.

IrishLass :)

Sorry, OP, I missed that this was an HP (which is truly stupid, b/c it was in your re line). No change on the opinion regarding cure, though (as IL discussed) but maybe discoloration would be different, so just disregard my posts on discoloration, they are based on CP. I still strongly feel that w/your deadline, you should use MP rather than HP/CP.

Last edited:
Aside from my agreement with the others that HP needs just as much cure as CP...
I use coconut milk in a lot of my HPing with no problems unless it's overcooked. Also, your mix of oils may have something to do with it... If you use a lot of soft oils, my experience is that the soap tends to be darker.

I use orange ten-fold EO and it definitely discolours to a dark ivory or orangey colour. I've heard others report a pinkish colour, so it could be worse!

I agree with the others' advice regarding cure time for HP not being any shorter than for CP and regarding the orange as a likely culprit for the darker color.

Also, have you used the same recipe for CP as you're using for HP, so you have some history with this particular recipe? Sometimes the choice of fats in the recipe can cause the soap to be darker as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back