Why are my body butters molding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
I have noticed within the last 2-3 months after making body butters, they mold after 2 months. I have a large jar I made sometime very late last year I intend to whip and use for advertising only (not use) and it has not molded. I made that jar with Shea and cocoa butters. I am now using Shea and mango butters and notice black fuzz in the jar after 2 months. I include grapeseed and apricot kernel oils and since I don't add water, I don't use a preservative. What am I doing wrong?

@eclecticsprint your Q hopefully will prompt answers as to why. My guess "bacteria entered the product through non sterile equipment' jars' or after product was finished bacteria introduced by hands.

@AliOop great question' never thought of that, but that would create bacteria via' water in product.
If it's black fuzz, that's mold. Bacteria would cause it to get runny and have bubbles in it.
Both require water though. Somehow, water is getting into the jar.

Also, after filling the jars, did you cover them before the product cooled completely? If so, this will cause condensation to build up on the lid, drip into the product, and provide a fertile environment for the nasties.
I freeze the mixture, afterwards whip it and put it in jars

@eclecticsprint your Q hopefully will prompt answers as to why. My guess "bacteria entered the product through non sterile equipment' jars' or after product was finished bacteria introduced by hands.

@AliOop great question' never thought of that, but that would create bacteria via' water in product.
I spray with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol into the jars and lid. This only happens with the butters and none other of my products. What is your process for sterilizing jars?

ETA: I was replying to these as they were posted, sorry if I contradict myself.

There is a good possibility because I use it immediately after my shower.

You are probably getting water into it that way then. I recommend you use a clean sampling spatula or plastic spoon to put the amount you'll use into a little bowl that you take into the bathroom with you, and don't put your fingers in the jar at all.

If you freeze it until it's cool, you may be getting condensation on the surface of the product itself, which then gets whipped in.

I spray with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol into the jars and lid. This only happens with the butters and none other of my products. What is your process for sterilizing jars?
That isn't going to sterilize anything. 91% does not have enough water in it. It must be between 60 and 70% to sterilize because alcohol requires water to do its thing.

I just thought of something, I put aloe vera (home grown) in the mixture. I'll eliminate that and see if it makes a difference
Anything botanical like that is particularly difficult to preserve in this type of product. I'd recommend only using it for things like soap, which is self-preserving, and not in things that require a preservative. It would be easier to preserve if you are using an amount too small to actually do anything in the finished product, so either way you're better off without it.

I Boil my jars in water the same way you would for canning food products' along w/ the lids & all utensils being used, Then I'll spray down w/ alcohol inside & out of jars / Lids & all utensils. When I'd remove my butter from jar I use a Spoon that I've wash & clean w/ alcohol. I only dip spoon once, so I make sure I get the right amount.

Yes, but do you cover it in any way while it is still warm, while it is still cooling or being frozen? If so, then condensation forms on the top of the cover and drips into the product.

But I agree with @Quanta that the aloe vera gel and the wet hands are the most likely culprits here. You need a preservative if any water is used in the product or gets into the product. Aloe vera gel is mostly water, so...

Re the aloe, I love botanicals but know the challenges associated with an extremely humid climate even for soaping. So I wonder whether, if you complied with all other best practices, like those suggested above (avoiding condensation in container or on product, etc), can aloe be used without risk of mold if in powder form?

Re the aloe, I love botanicals but know the challenges associated with an extremely humid climate even for soaping. So I wonder whether, if you complied with all other best practices, like those suggested above (avoiding condensation in container or on product, etc), can aloe be used without risk of mold if in powder form?
I don't think the powdered aloe will work without water.
Wholesale Supplies Plus has oil soluble versions of aloe vera. Search their site for Aloe Vera Oil and Aloe Butter Blend. Those won't need a preservative because there's no water in them. They are mostly coconut oil, or soybean oil though which may or may not give the feel you're looking for in a body butter. I suspect they have very little aloe vera in them though.

Any of the powders such as Arrowroot powder used to help cut greasiness can also mold in body butters and anhydrous products. For your product, I would definitely say it is the Aloe Vera since aloe is basically a 98% water-based product.
Is arrowroot going moldy in anhydrous products something that has happened to you? Wouldn't it still have to have water getting in it somehow in order for mold to grow? I've never heard of that happening without water before. I just bought a bag of arrowroot that I haven't used yet. If the powder itself contains a small amount of water, maybe I'll have to dry it in the oven before adding it to things.
For cutting greasiness, I like isopropyl myristate. That won't cause mold. For my solid lotions I also use butters and oils that are less greasy to begin with, like babassu and fractionated coconut. I have added cornstarch before but I don't like how it feels.

I Boil my jars in water the same way you would for canning food products' along w/ the lids & all utensils being used, Then I'll spray down w/ alcohol inside & out of jars / Lids & all utensils. When I'd remove my butter from jar I use a Spoon that I've wash & clean w/ alcohol. I only dip spoon once, so I make sure I get the right amount.
How do you clean/sterilize if the jars are plastic

How do you clean/sterilize if the jars are plastic
I use glass jars 💫🤗.
Update
1: Some plastic containers can be in hot boiling water for 5 minutes' check w/ manufacture:
2. Use 1 tea of bleach in a gallon of water soak for 15 minutes will sanitize plastic:
3. The "Sun" sanitizes too, 30-60 minutes in direct sun will kill bacteria. A Trick From My Undertaker Uncle. 💫👍🏼:
4: Alcohol is great: but you use this already. 👍🏼💫

Last edited:
Back