Why are my bath salts getting wet?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracymm

Reaction score
Help!

I’m making bath salts blends and over time (approx 1-2month) some, not all, and not every time I make them, are wet! Some wetter than others. They’re dry when package. It’s so confusing why some stay dry, some are a little damp and others are a sloppy mess!

My recipe is:
1500g Epsom salts
750 g Dead Sea salts
750g pink Himalayan

then I added the essential oils add massage the salts.depending on the blend I use lavender, ylang ylang, geranium, lemongrass, lime, cedarwood, eucalyptus and rosemary.

And bake them at 200 degreees Fahrenheit for 15 mins, mixing every 5 minutes

I’ll take them out of the oven sprinkle 1/4 cup of Sodium bicarbonate on them and dried herbs/petals. Let it sit until cooled then package them in Kraft Mylar bags.

Like I mentioned previously, the salts are dry when going into their bags it’s after 1-2 months they get wet! And again some wetter than others.

the only thing I’m considering is I heard on another forum it may be the Dead Sea salts absorbing moisture from the air over time. Maybe some of my bags have more Dead Sea salts than others?

Help!
Thanks In advance!

That’s my thought too..... except the strange thing is the containers I have my “bulk” salts in (separated- one container for Dead Sea salt, one for pink Himalayan, one for Epsom) are totally dry and normal looking. The containers aren’t air right either. After packaging them they are in air tight bags. I’m considering maybe too that it’s a reaction with the sodium bicarbonate over time?..... Thoughts.....

Back