Wholesale Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
Does anyone here have wholesale experience? I've been approached by a local market, recently. He's asked for some samples for he and his family to try out, and if they like my product, he'd like to add my to the list of local small suppliers. He proposes a very fair deal, and has the same 'keep it local' mentality I do, which is a definite bonus.
My question is pretty small, but I'd like a voice of experience to chime in with advice before I make a decision.
Should I give him full-sized product as samples, or the 1oz. pieces I give out to potential customers? Should I give him only my prettiest types, or a mix of everything, including the basic bars? He is leaving that up to me, and having no experience with selling to market, I have no idea which to choose or size. My first inclination is to give him full-size of my prettiest, and then an assortment of standard bar samples, so he gets a full view of what I actually have.
Suggestions?

Beeswax & Bubbles
www.beeswaxbubbles.com

Maybe a mix of 1 oz samples and also some full sizes? I think it depends on how many samples overall you are wanting him to try. Is he going to be carrying all the different kinds you make from 'pretty' to 'basic'? If this is going to help him decide that then maybe giving him a one of each of those in full size then a variety of others in 1 oz?

I'm considering full size product for the honey soaps, as honey is the main focus of my business, and the standard samples for the other soap types. I don't know if that's a reasonable offering? Should I provide the name/location of my local honey supplier on my display card, for cross-advertising for them?

Thank you for replying. :)

Beeswax & Bubbles
www.beeswaxbubbles.com

I think including your local honey supplier will help people identify with your keep it local motto and remember your soap better. It's a great idea!

That's what I was thinking. And I can't think of any business that wouldn't/doesn't appreciate a little extra free advertising!

I'm not sure I'm answering your question with this, but every time I take a restock to a store - I update my facebook page and tag that store in it. I also try to remember to shout outs to my honey and goat milk suppliers on a semi-regular basis.

You want to give the store the samples that you want to and can make a profit selling at wholesale. If you can't produce enough to keep up with the added demand, don't offer it. If you don't think it's going to make a profit for the retailer, don't offer it.

It's a mutually beneficial transaction. The retailer needs to make a profit. You need to make a profit. Choose the products that will satisfy both your needs.

Back